hen or rooster?

hogdogs87

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2015
north Georgia
Hello everybody. Im new here from Georgia. I just purchased 4 barred rocks and one rir..i was told they were all hens.(what i wanted) and i just want to be sure because i am new to chickens. They are 6 months old. Would they be crowing already and have long tail feathers? Forgive my stupidity. This is probably a dumb question. Thank y'all.

Most likely they would be crowing by then but there are exceptions and as far as plumage goes you would probably be able to recognize the male feathers by then.
Can you post a picture?

Hello everybody. Im new here from Georgia. I just purchased 4 barred rocks and one rir..i was told they were all hens.(what i wanted) and i just want to be sure because i am new to chickens. They are 6 months old. Would they be crowing already and have long tail feathers? Forgive my stupidity. This is probably a dumb question. Thank y'all.

It's not a dumb question.
welcome-byc.gif
Most roosters are crowing and have long sickle feathers by 6 months. If your chickens' tails look like an inverted v from behind and kinda square from the side, they are pullets. If you had a roo, the tail feathers are more upright from the base and start to curve down at the end. RIR roos are easy to spot because the get big long shiny black/green tail feathers. You get the idea.
I'm not sure of tail feather color of BR roos, I've never owned one. Hope this helps.
smile.png

If they are really crowing (as opposed to the hen's egg song), they are almost certainly roosters. While a hen does crow on rare occasions, it's almost always a hen that's over 2 years old and has taken over the role of the rooster in a roosterless flock. If you can post some pics for us, we can verify their gender.

Back
Top Bottom