Hen out in the coop after impacted crop surgery eating hay again

puddinbabe

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 5, 2007
I just don't know what I'm going to do with this girl. She had crop surgery in the middle of December and has been in the house since then. Battled sour crop. She doesn't want to eat much so the vet suggested I put her out with the other girls to see if they will make her want to eat. She's still at the top of the pecking order and likes to be the boss, so if someone is eating she thinks she needs to be there too. So I've been putting her out for a few hours a day. Today I left her out for about 4 hours. When I brought her back in I felt her crop and I can tell she has eaten some more hay, which is why the crop had to be cleared in the first place. I don't guess there is anything I can do except clear the hay out of the coop (its underneath the roost) but I think she'll ingest anything that is there. If this causes an impaction then it doesn't really matter because I won't take her for surgery again. Any idea why she would want to do this or if there is a safe type of medium to put under a roost?

Shavings work the best, I'm glad your hen is doing better!
smile.png

Should I just look for pine shavings? I'm guessing Lowes will have them?

Last time the olive oil didn't work which is why it ended in surgery. But I won't do the surgery myself. If this turns into another bout of impacted crop that doesn't resolve with just oil and massage then I'll have to put her down. I like this chicken but I'm spending more time with her than with my family these days.

Does she have adequate Grit available? I would clean out the hay and use shavings. They love to eat hay and sometimes straw. I actually give my flock hay in the winter when they are stuck inside on the below zero days. I just make sure that the grit is available and I have only had 1 chicken get impacted, Since I noticed it so fast I was able to massage her crop with olive oil and she was good as new in 3 days.
But in your case....after spending all that effort to recover her...No more hay!!!

oh...tractor supply has shavings

Last edited:
Rural King has them, if you have one close by. I think they sell them as horse bedding. :) I don't know about Lowes....make sure they are treated if you get them there!!

Should I just look for pine shavings? I'm guessing Lowes will have them?

Last time the olive oil didn't work which is why it ended in surgery. But I won't do the surgery myself. If this turns into another bout of impacted crop that doesn't resolve with just oil and massage then I'll have to put her down. I like this chicken but I'm spending more time with her than with my family these days.

Yea, the 2 I've had tried again another time, didn't learn I guess!
Grit only helps further down in the gizzard.
The best way to tell if they're doing okay even with hay is to feel their crop in the morning, it should be empty. If there's hay in there, aside from slurpy food, I would massage their crop several times a day.

My girl is still battling her crop issue. I have tried everything shy of surgery. I don't know of any local vets that deal with chickens. For now I just have her on a very soft foods. Apple sauce, yogurt and some flax seed mixed in some times. Also once a week I add a little vitamins and electrolytes to her water. I still do crop massages on her a few times a day. I can feel a lump of straw in there it is slowly breaking up.

I've been battling with this hen for a month and we finally have got some solid poop! Over this last month its gone from liquid poo to just water and urates. I've been letting her hang out in the coop during daylight hours these past few days. And I know she's eating a little while out there. We've finished with all meds and are just waiting to see if things get better. I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but having a normal poo is a HUGE improvement!

Back
Top Bottom