hen panting even after drinking water

chickenreyna

Songster
Oct 10, 2017
Oklahoma
One of my hen will constantly pant..even after i give thrm fresh water 3x a day. I dip her beak in it and she still pants

She drinks all ny herself but i was trying to help her quit.. Do some hens just like pant nonstop? About one year old EE..healthy condition only one doing this have almost 20 chickchickens outside

And three gallon waterers placed evenly for them!

Does she have a place to dustbathe? Access to shade? We have a fan in the coop and that helps move the air around. We also put chopped frozen fruit and veggies in a bundt cake pan, fill with water and freeze. I put it in the shade of their run and a couple inches of water. It seems to help when the heat index is super high and my gals are panting.

Ok i have two gigantic trees providing shade by them. And shes only one.. Out of ALMOST Twenty panting so its not ththat i am not properly caring for her... Yes dust bathe plenty of access plus they stay by the bottom entry to under my house often its cold and you can feel air from inside.

all of my chickens are NOT doing this one out of 18 does this nonstop. The rest dont do this daily at all its just her....lol not my fault i do what i can i am getting a fan set up in my

Oh my goodness! I am sure you are doing everything you can! Just trying to figure out if there is something else she needs. Poor thing! Maybe someone else will have a suggestion.

If it isn't that hot where you are at, my chickens will pant when it's over 80 degrees, than it could be the one has a respiratory problem. You can get a hold of her and listen for any wheezing or rattling. Every chicken is different just like people. Some tolerant heat better than others. I personally don't run a fan. I just make sure they have fresh water and shade.

Occasionally a bird will get something stuck in it's throat and it will breathe open mouthed. Generally that's accompanied by a weird squeaky hiccup type sound.

Every chicken is different just like people. Some tolerant heat better than others.
Yes, I have a few that are the first to start panting when it gets warm.
Chickens will also pant when stressed or sick.

She drinks all ny herself but i was trying to help her quit
What does 'trying to help her quit' mean?

Back
Top Bottom