hen pattern baldness?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nikki1, Nov 12, 2012.

1. nikki1

nikki1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Eatonville, WA
    My SLW, Dot, is at the top of the pecking order. She is a beautiful bird, but lately she's been having issues.

First, I noticed more Dot feathers than anyone else's in the run and in the yard. Then I noticed that her longest tail feathers were gone, so her butt looks very rounded. This morning I noticed a, well, not bald patch, but a sparse patch on the back of her neck.

None of the other hens would dare to peck at her, so I don't think that's the problem. She seems otherwise healthy. The Girls eat a layer feed, with treats of corn, scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, and yogurt, so I'm thinking it's not a feed issue. Could she be doing a late molt? My other 6 hens are fully feathered.

In the meantime, we've got a red heat lamp up in the coop to keep her and everyone else warm.

So, what's up? Do I need to get Chickie Rogaine, or what?

--Nikki

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    She's probably molting. Although the first adult molt is usually around 18 months old, some are late molters and some are early.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Mine are molting. Bare butts. Ugly, partially feathered chickens. Yard looks like a chicken exploded outside.

Chris

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Could be a partial molt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. nikki1

nikki1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Eatonville, WA
    Whew! I thought maybe she had some weird feather-losing disorder. We go with "molt" unless I see any further symptoms.

--Nikki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by