hen pecked severley in vent area!

sshavney

Songster
8 Years
May 23, 2011
Liberty Mounds, OK
My neighbor brought over his hen that had been severely pecked in the vent area. Well, she has scabbed over (blu-kote was applied) and it seems like there is dead tissue around it. She also can't seem to poop very well. Yesterday she was trying to lay an egg and just could not no matter how hard she pushed. I put her in a warm bath to try and help and it didn't work. I went ahead and carefully broke the egg and took it out of her. Fairly positive I go everything out. Not sure really what to do next. She is separated from other birds.

My neighbor brought over his hen that had been severely pecked in the vent area. Well, she has scabbed over (blu-kote was applied) and it seems like there is dead tissue around it. She also can't seem to poop very well. Yesterday she was trying to lay an egg and just could not no matter how hard she pushed. I put her in a warm bath to try and help and it didn't work. I went ahead and carefully broke the egg and took it out of her. Fairly positive I go everything out. Not sure really what to do next. She is separated from other birds.
Bumping this post.

Hi Bumping the post means that somebody is trying to get your message to the top of the list to be noticed.

I am sorry that nobody has so far responded to your plight - I do so hope your chicken is surviving - you can try giving her an antibiotic, if she is not in a dark place it would be advisable to put her somewhere quiet and dark to relax her and attempt to stop any further egg production - it may be a good idea to bathe her again to try and keep her as clean as possible - I hear epsom salts are good for putting in the water - I use a weak salt water solution for bathing in - you can also add some betadine solution.

Keep us informed - good luck!!!!

Suzie

Thank you! So far so good with her. No eggs thank goodness! She is really scabbed up though. I would like to try and keep that area moist but heal at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom