Hen pecked

I would also try blinders. There's someone on eBay selling them for like 4 bucks with shipping for 5 of them. or try your feed store or hatchery.

I would also try blinders. There's someone on eBay selling them for like 4 bucks with shipping for 5 of them. or try your feed store or hatchery.
That is my next step! I have tried a black stuff from the feed store called "rooster booster" and when I put it on the chickens the others peck the area even more. I want to rid two of my older leghorns that are causing the trouble. Thank you for this thread, so helpful.

I've got the same issue. The other day I noticed that one was being chased/pecked and was hiding in the corners and acting very stressed out. I have young chickens and am not totally sure which are hens and which are roosters. I suspect the one being pecked is a hen. I have 7 total, 2 that I know for sure are hens, the one being pecked which I suspect is a hen and the other 4 I am guessing are roos. I took out the pecked hen and put her in a dog crate next to the coop. I hope to get rid of the 4 meanies and hope to reintroduce the pecked one back into the coop.

Is this the right course of action? The chickens are only about 14 weeks old.

Any advice is appreciated!

I raised bantam's years ago an when they stated pecking (now don't laugh ) a guy told me to give them an old cooler made from foam ,they are missing something in their diet .But like one said they are bullies every where .
hu.gif

I have a problem with a young rooster that I have introduced to a flock of 3 hens. The poor boy gets pecked all the time and dare not enter the coop at night. I put him in each night in the hope that the pecking stops as he gets bigger. Do you think this may happen?

I have a problem with a young rooster that I have introduced to a flock of 3 hens. The poor boy gets pecked all the time and dare not enter the coop at night. I put him in each night in the hope that the pecking stops as he gets bigger. Do you think this may happen?
How old is your young rooster, and how old are the hens you've put him with? He will have to earn his place as flock master with them, and that will only happen with maturity.

The rooster is about six months and the hens are 15 months. I have now separated them, into two areas they can see each other. But at least the rooster has a rest and can feed properly. Thanks for your reply. Steve from Brisbane. Oz

How long was he in with the others? The thing about separating them is, when you put them back together the squabbles will likely start all over again. If there is no blood being drawn, no major injuries, I'd let them sort it out. Something that can help is to have hiding places for him to go. A pallet leaned against the run fence, something like that. Just a place where he can get out of the line of sight, but is open in two places so he doesn't get trapped. Also, more than one feeding and watering station is good. He might have a chance to eat and drink with a little less trouble.

Back
Top Bottom