Hen pecked

mockcherry

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
NJ
A chicken, we now call her Boo Boo Blue - is being seriously pecked by three other hens. We have six hens, plus some pullets we bought in the spring. They are free range during the day and in the coop at night. Plenty of room. Cam home one day, about a month ago- and her head and comb were ripped up, I thought it was a failed hawk attempt (which has happened before). I slapped some blu kote on her and put her back with the girls. The next day - there was fresh blood, a lot, on the comb, so I put her in a crate next to the others and have tried to put her back in. They used to be a fairly mellow flock. The first time one immediately went after her and all she does is lay down and sometimes tries to hide her head. The peckee doesn't even run off. I let her fully heal and have put her back and she was fine for a day - then three started picking on her. She just lays downs and takes it. It's awful. Most chickens I've seen, get pecked and run off. This one just lays down. She is obviously very sweet, and to boot, she is my best layer (Black Australorp). I don't know if I can fix this situation or even if I find her a home in a new flock - if she will fare any better. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I had those issues too,and sadly no matter what I did the hen pecked one stayed at the bottom. The asaults did however lessen over time,and were less traumatic.I tried pulling the 1 or 2 major offenders,and dog crating them for days.Tried standing there shooing away the meanies.

Some that were pecked ran off,but some just took it like yours.My only solution was to get rid of the pecked one or the meanies.For a time I had a hen in a dog crate in the house.She was sick anyway,but she did fine.Though house chickens(crated not diapered roamers) is not an ideal,but it will work.

I can't stand to have a hen bullied that bad.Few pecks I can tolerate,but if I was seeing her tore up I would rehome or make her a house chicken.I might try putting her in a night with the flock,and pulling out a bully or 2.Kind of mess up the pecking order a few times.

I added a rooster to my 7 to stop the hen pecking.It didn't.He just became top dog,and the rest still pecked.Atleast the one taking the beating run.

Another option is to create ANOTHER flock,so hen pecked has a new group to hang with.

Don't give up.Keep trying things,and maybe they will settle down.Don't let the others hurt her bad.

Best of luck for your hen.

I got nothing
idunno.gif
I don't understand it. Fortunately I have never had this problem. Only with rooster's.. You could get a small dog house and make her a small area in you run, where she can see others and them her. Since it is only one bird you could give her about 15 to 20 sq ft fenced off, you only need 10 sq ft. That's all I have.
frow.gif
Michele

i seperated my young pullets from the hens yesterday.after months of intergrating them my hens would not accept my pullets.i'am tired of watching the pecking spuring and chasing i came close to losing one pullet.nursed her back and than on sun found her again sitting in the corner of the run.she was so weak she could not stand.i have a large run and the hens have a coop and the pullets have a coop.the young ones would go in their coop and get up on the roost to hide from the hens.the hens would come looking for them and chase them off.enough is enough.

the same problem is happening to my small flock. two of my chickens is picking on the smallest one, i think i found out on the first day that it was happening (today). for the rest of the day i have been separating the two mean ones from the victim and my other chicken that is being nice to the victim. i don't know what to do. i really don't want her to get hurt very bad.

i also need some advice on what to do, please help! :(

Sometimes the pecking order changes. I've found that the best way to 'reintroduce' the pecked hens is to put them in an areas separate from the other chickens but where they can both see each other. A dog crate or a smaller cage in the coop helps. If this is not possible and you have to bring the chicken into the house, let her out (outside the coop) but where the others can see her. I found that allowing 1-2 others that are not as aggressive be outside with the pecked hen also helps (esp when the others can see all of them)
Make sure that all raw spots are covered either with blue kote or with an apron. Otherwise, the chicken can get cannablized to death.

I'm having the same problem. I've got two younger hens that have been in a separate run from my other two hens and two Roos. We built a large run and tried putting the girls together. The two older ones picked on the little ones, I found one of the younger ones just laying there, I thought she was dead. I picked her up, (she wasn't dead) she didn't move or squawk. I guess we'll keep the little ones separate from the others. Fortunately, we have enough room to keep them separate.

I have a hen pecking problem too. I have 9 chickens (3 americanas, 3 barred rocks, 3 wyandottes). All of the americanas are getting pecked on in the same area (above the tail feathers). The one getting pecked on the most is the biggest one. I personally think that is CRAZY!!! Please respond as quickly as possible!
bow.gif
Sincerely, lovemychicks22

we have the same problem. our two oldest hens, RIR's peck on everyone and are downright hateful. as soon as they stop laying they will be going into the crockpot and we will solve the problem that way. i'd rather promote the younger hens than the aggressive ones. i've got young chicks who will need to be integrated eventually and i can't have them killed.

Back
Top Bottom