Hen pecking her babies (ducklings)...

afrugoni

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 3, 2013
San Marcos, TX
Need help! I let a broody hen hatch out duck eggs. I read about it and it seemed like it's been done and people had success with it. I've never had ducks and only other time I hatched chicks I did it with a broody. Don't want to mess with incubators, brooders, etc. and like to let it happen naturally. Anyway, the ducklings hatched on Thursday and all seemed well until this morning. I went out to check on everyone and give fresh water. Hen and ducklings were wandering around their area and I noticed a wound on one ducklings back. Then I observed my hen pecking the babies. It was quite hard and they would squeal and run away. Several times she had some down in her beak. I am super disappointed. This is her first time being a mom. We removed her from the pen and added a heat light for warmth for the babies. We are in Texas and it has been warm so I think they will be okay outside. The funny thing is she is desperate to get back to them! She's pacing around the area and doing a very distressed clucking. I really don't know what to do. When I put her back in she starts the pecking again. Any advice would be appreciated!

First time moms don't always make good moms. I personally would remove them and brood them myself. Next time she may do better, or maybe it's because they are ducks.

Back
Top Bottom