1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen pecking her babies (ducklings)...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by afrugoni, May 29, 2016.

1. afrugoni

afrugoni New Egg

Nov 3, 2013
    San Marcos, TX
    Need help! I let a broody hen hatch out duck eggs. I read about it and it seemed like it's been done and people had success with it. I've never had ducks and only other time I hatched chicks I did it with a broody. Don't want to mess with incubators, brooders, etc. and like to let it happen naturally. Anyway, the ducklings hatched on Thursday and all seemed well until this morning. I went out to check on everyone and give fresh water. Hen and ducklings were wandering around their area and I noticed a wound on one ducklings back. Then I observed my hen pecking the babies. It was quite hard and they would squeal and run away. Several times she had some down in her beak. I am super disappointed. This is her first time being a mom. We removed her from the pen and added a heat light for warmth for the babies. We are in Texas and it has been warm so I think they will be okay outside. The funny thing is she is desperate to get back to them! She's pacing around the area and doing a very distressed clucking. I really don't know what to do. When I put her back in she starts the pecking again. Any advice would be appreciated!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    First time moms don't always make good moms. I personally would remove them and brood them myself. Next time she may do better, or maybe it's because they are ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by