Broody hatched ducklings need some pointers on the sooner side

Feb 5, 2022
Wyoming
My 4 year old khaki Campbell hen went (this is her very first time broody) broody and her eggs hatched today some of the ducklings don't seem to energetic right now and its making me a bit worried, their all staying with their mom on the nest she's still sitting on some eggs which I don't think will hatch. Tomorrow's duckling situation will be different I believe.

How do newly hatched ducklings tend to act?

I'm worried about one particular duckling who's nares are a bit blocked and seems to struggle to breath right now. I've gotten ducklings from a store a few years ago that had wry neck before we bought them, we didn't know how to help those ones that year and so the two with wry neck didn't make it I don't want a similar experience this year.

I want to be able to stay ahead of any problems with them as best I can, so advice and just general facts about new duckling behaviors and things like that would be much appreciated. These aren't my first broody hatched ducklings but it certainly feels like it right now.

The duckling I was worried about died on Thursday night (the day I made this thread)
I don't really know why or how it did and ants started eating it's body when I found it so they could've made harder to tell what went wrong with the duckling I think wasn't under momma properly with it's already blocked nares and something potentially wrong with it legs and what ever else may have been wrong with it. I'm sad it didn't have much of a good time when it was alive but I'm happy that everybody else is fine.

Note: before hatching a pipping egg was rolled out of the nest and some shell was taken off of it. I don't know how long it was out of the nest and if any of the other birds messed with it before I checked on Jem the broody and the nest though.
As soon as I saw the egg I made sure it wasn't injured (or dead) as best I could without disturbing the duckling to much and put it back in the nest. It was still in the egg absorbing the rest of the yolk when it was like that. I knew it wasn't good for that to have happened and had me worried for that one. The next day there was hatched ducklings, but one wasn't doing really any walking (and struggle to breath cause there was dirt and stuff in it's nares and is the one that died Thursday night. I think it was the one that was rolled out of the nest too.

The other three ducklings are right as rain though and seem to be thriving but have yet to leave from under the coop. I've got their food and water under there so they're safe from the rest of the flock (and might be why they've stayed under there), I'm worried the two guineas will be mean to the ducklings so when their momma gets them to come out with her I will get them inside a pen just for them. All of my birds are free ranged all day and since there's broody ducks out side of the coop the pop door is left open at night it's not what we usually do but I feel their all safer that way and it helps keep the coop cleaner cause there's not really any ducks in it at night so only chickens are pooping in it.

I hope everyone has a great day!

They all came out of the nest with their mom today and played in water and foraged they slept in the sun near her and everything.

They also ate their own food and drank they preened and are doing well.

Back
Top Bottom