Hen pecking me

lingbot

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 8, 2007
Los Altos, CA
I'm sure there has been asked before but a quick scan of the forums didn't immediatley give me answers. I have 3 hens - 2 of which are laying. The third one (a RIR) who is not laying has always been the least scared of humans but lately has taken to trying to peck us. This morning when I let them out of their coop, she immediately came running at me and jumped up and pecked my knee hard enough to break skin. The other two stood around watching her. I reacted by immediately holding her down and scolding her but these attacks are getting crazy. Has anyone else had this problem? We've been trying to re-assert our dominance over her but so far it hasn't been working. Will she just become more calm after she starts laying?

Yah, we don't have a roo and she definitely is trying to be it. I was also wondering maybe she is a roo since she isn't laying yet but she looks exactly like the other RIR but with a smaller comb and waddle. And no rooster sounds. She crowed the egg-laying sound (bawk-bawk-bawk-BAYOK) yesterday for a while and turned out it was because there was a cat hidden under our deck and she stopped once we saw the cat run out.

Back
Top Bottom