'Hen' pigeon building the nest

ilikepigeons

Songster
Nov 11, 2021
New Zealand
So I have a 'pair' that is not laying, I have made a few changes to husbandry (grit, better feed, ect) and there is still no eggs. They even abandoned their old nest and made a new one too.
Just now I saw the 'female' gathering straw and using it on the nest. I believe that only males do this, right?
In courtship the 'female' does act like a female, squatting and feeding him, but afterwards the 'hen' will bow-coo in circles around him for a few seconds and then stop, I personally haven't seen the females bow-cooing like this after mating, but then I don't have much experience either. The 'hen' also does bow-coo at other birds sometimes in a dominant way and get aggressive to others at feeding time.
It would make a lot of sense if they were a same sex pair of males, leading to no eggs. I would try get the 'female' DNA tested but it is really difficult to catch a free range bird for the sample.
If they are a same sex pair, should I just leave them alone? They are obsessed with the nest and if they are not going to have any chicks I'd feel a bit bad for for them just sitting there all day for nothing. Would they just eventually abandon it on their own?

You could always allow them to foster eggs from another pair. It does sound as if you have a mated pair of males . Or you could break them up and cage mate them with known hens.
I like the idea of allowing them to foster eggs. I don’t have any spare hens I could cage mate them with at the moment.
I do only have one other pair, if I took and fostered their first clutch of eggs to the other pair would they re lay another clutch?

Yes they will lay a second round - generally in around 10 days. First I would get some fake nest eggs and see if the same sex pair will incubate them.

Back
Top Bottom