Hen pooping eggs. I think she will die :'(

If you think she has an egg stuck, open her beak and put the calcium pill in her mouth. Fill bathroom with steam and place her in there for several hours.

-Kathy

Be aware that if the egg was laid minus the shell, it indicates that the hen is deficient in calcium and that the shell could not fully form. Therefore, what is left inside (incompletely formed shell) is either quite rubbery or very thin. If left inside, she will develop an infection. She needs antibiotics and calcium supplements. A warm bath would not hurt but it is dangerous to shove things down a chicken's beak not knowing if you will obstruct her airway. Forget the hocus-pocus do it yourself strategies. Antibiotics and calcium supplements are what she needs. Please get her the care she needs asap. My little hen continues to do well 15 months after this happened to her. She is also an indoor pet :) since the incident!

Be aware that if the egg was laid minus the shell, it indicates that the hen is deficient in calcium and that the shell could not fully form. Therefore, what is left inside (incompletely formed shell) is either quite rubbery or very thin. If left inside, she will develop an infection. She needs antibiotics and calcium supplements. A warm bath would not hurt but it is dangerous to shove things down a chicken's beak not knowing if you will obstruct her airway. Forget the hocus-pocus do it yourself strategies. Antibiotics and calcium supplements are what she needs. Please get her the care she needs asap. My little hen continues to do well 15 months after this happened to her. She is also an indoor pet :) since the incident!
  • A steam bath is safer.
  • *All* normal sized hens will have no problem swallowing a whole human calcium pill.

If she is not drinking she needs fluids ASAP. Might be best to take this hen to a vet.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Here are the two forms of calcium that I give mine:

My bigger birds get one 500mg tablet orally, old english banties 1/2 tablet. The calcium gluconate is liquid and I give about 100 mg per 2.2 pounds orally. I don't usually have to do it more than once. The liquid you can get at Tractor Supply in the cattle section.

Pictures:

Edited to add:
They don't get both, they just get one or the other.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Last edited:
@Luvmy9hens If you're referring to the steam bath as a "hocus-pocus do it yourself strategies", it is what my vet suggests. She also suggests getting them properly hydrated first with oral and subcutaneous fluids. Once fluids are on board I was told to give calcium and place them in a warm bathroom that's filled with steam. Hens are sometimes also given an antibiotic like Baytril and an inflammatory like meloxicam.

-Kathy

Thank you, Bocktobery. I completely understand what you are saying. I love my pets so much but surgery costs to much for that kind of risk. I will giver her calcium and take care of her the best I can. Can I crush a human calcium tablet and give it to her???
Yes.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom