Hen poops a lot and has lost weight.

florette4

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 21, 2013
Hi everyone,
one of my frizzle hens does a massive amount of poop at night. She is always hungry. I picked her up today and can feel her breast bone. I suspect worms but not sure that is related to the massive pooping that happens. Any ideas?

Chickens poop a lot at night.
If you suspect worms you can take a fecal sample to your vet to have a fecal float test performed to confirm any worms.

What type of food/treats do you feed - is the food available all the time free choice?
Chickens constantly eat, so being "hungry" is IMO "normal". She may benefit from some extra protein, so you may want to offer her some egg, meat, tuna or mackerel.

Thanks for your reply. When I say poops a lot. I am comparing her to my others and there is a mountain of it ... she sleeps in a nesting box, unfortunately, so, I know who the offender is.

I did get a sample taken and worms didn't come up strangely. She did have cocci and has been treated. The vet seems to think that there could be an issue with her digestive system.

I have been giving her slippery elm, galic and apple cider, a tonic I have made up. As for eating habits... she pushes all the other girls away and greedily gulps at the food as if she hasn't eaten in ages.

All my chooks free range and have food available to them all day. Once a day they get a "treat" bowl with chopped vege's, brown rice, oats and boiled eggs. I have been sneaking her upstairs the last couple of days to give her extra.

Without going into serious vet costs I am at a bit of a loss.

You may want to up her protein intake, give her some probiotics and offer some poultry vitamins as well in case she is having problems absorbing nutrients.

For protein you can use a commercial feed (chick starter or an all flock formula) or give egg, tuna, mackerel or meat. You can either feed it to just her or any of the food options mentioned the others would enjoy as well.

Probiotics you can use a little yogurt (mix it will a little of her feed if you like) or you can find them at the feed store or online.

Poultry vitamins can be found at the feed store (or online) and last quite a while - little bit goes along way so offer them for just a few days to see if there is any improvement.

Do you offer any extra calcium as well? If not you can offer some oyster shell free choice.

Let us know how she does.

Back
Top Bottom