Hen raising chicks

jewells68

Chirping
12 Years
Jun 17, 2009
I was surprised to find a fluffy chick eating among my flock this morning. The other hens and rooster seemed ok with it but after a few mimutes another hen pecked it twice and it took off screeching to its mom who promptly sat on it. My question is should I leave it with the flock? The mother appears to be still caring for it. Thanks for the advice.

None of us can predict whether the chick will remain safe from injury if the broody and chick remain without protection in the flock.

Many of us can tell you heart breaking stories of chicks being killed by curious or malevolent flock members. My own tragic story involved a single hatch also. It was in a coop and run with only one other hen, the two segregated from the flock due to feather picking issues.

One minute the chick was healthy and fine, and minutes later, it was lying stretched out on the ground gasping and bloody from the other hen pecking its head.

It was the first time I had tried leaving these two chickens together when one was brooding. It was very bad judgement on my part. Too bad do-overs aren't possible.

I would deffinatly leave the chick with its mom, but maybe make some arrangements so the chick gets access to chick starter and can safely access water.
Chicks can sometimes drown in certain types of waters
Any further recommendations would depend on your space and setup.
Are your chickens free range or confined?
Only 1 chick?
How about the coop, does it have a ramp?

I decided to isolate the hen and chick from the flock by dividing the coop area with chicken wire.
Perfect! That is how people do it, separate the hen with chicks in a pen inside the coop so the other birds can see them. After a week or so you can start letting them mix with the flock. Best way is to let the flock out to free range and then open up the pen so the mama/chick can explore too. Chicks shouldn't eat layer feed but they will do fine on all flock or game bird. They typically don't need medicated feed when raised with a flock.

There are probably more eggs that were incubated somewhere, they may already be dead by now though. If the chick just hatched you could also add other newly hatched chicks at this stage so it has siblings as it grows up (which is very important when mom cuts it loose). If they are put under the hen at night in the next day or two the hen should accept them.

Something I quite often see. Around two weeks of age a chick leaves the broody hen's protection and goes over to stand with other adult hens at the feeder, eating with them. The other hens may ignore the chick a bit but usually it isn't that long before a hen pecks it to teach it that it is bad chick manners to interfere with it's elders. The chick runs screaming back to Mama with it's tiny wings pumping.

Mama typically ignores this. The chick has learned a lesson about how to handle itself with the flock. It takes a flock to raise a chick and teach it flock dynamics. But occasionally the hen doesn't just peck it but follows it as if to reinforce that lesson. Mama promptly whips butt. Nobody threatens her chicks.

I would deffinatly leave the chick with its mom, but maybe make some arrangements so the chick gets access to chick starter and can safely access water.
Chicks can sometimes drown in certain types of waters
Any further recommendations would depend on your space and setup.
Are your chickens free range or confined?
Only 1 chick?
How about the coop, does it have a ramp?
Only one chick

Only one chick
Ok so I separated them as stated above gave them their own food and water i placed rocks in the water to hopefully help with the drowning problem. Someone asked if they were free range some of the hens do leave the enclosure to forage around the yard others stay put. Once the feed was gone all the chickens went off about their business leaving the mama and chick to themselves. The area is set up like such coop with completely enclosed yard ( chicken wire) leads out to a open topped fenced in area fenced with larger holes (chick could fit threw) then they can also leave that area to roam the rest of thr property. I just felt safer separating them until the chick is a bit bigger. Do you think a week is long enough or should I wait longer? I'm sorry if I missed anyone's questions thr navigation on my phone is different. Thank-you all for the advice

Back
Top Bottom