Hen rapidly losing feathers - haven't seen bugs? Other ideas?

mtnchicken

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 19, 2014
One of our 18 month old Rhode Island Reds (we have 4 hens total) just started losing feathers rapidly in the past couple of days. Our hens free range and it has been warm here in Colorado. I checked other threads and they suggested maybe lice or mites. It is tough to hold her (I'm sure her feathers hurt - some look like broken nubs and others completely gone), but we can't see anything crawling on her. The loss is everywhere from her tail to the worst part - her neck and chest. We've been keeping an eye out and haven't seen any feather picking. and there is no blood. Her appetite and energy are normal. Could she be having a big molt at this time of year? I also believe she may have had a small molt already in the fall.The other hens look and act normal. She went from looking normal on Thursday, then I was out of town for the weekend, and saw her Monday and she looked terrible! My husband didn't notice any change in her until yesterday either (he was home with them all weekend). Any ideas? I'm worried for her!

Our Buff Orpington has been having the same problem. See pictures. I was just about to post a new thread when I saw yours and thought, "Hey, that's what's happening to Rosie too!"

Normal Rosie

Rosie since last week :eek:

I am glad we're not alone, but sad for your hen too. Our Olga looks like Rosie, but not as much loss on the back of the neck, and bare skin on the neck and chest. Have you checked her for mites/lice? It is tough to hold her to check since it seems painful for her to be held and she won't sit still long enough (even with mealworm treats) to get a good look at her.

Back
Top Bottom