Hen roosting on top of coop

Jvillechooks

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 6, 2013
I have 7 beautiful hens who have been very close since they were chicks. Always have huddled together. Recently one hen has been roosting on top of the coop instead of going inside with the others at night. We have to go out every night and put her in. My thought is all 7 seven of them try to huddle on the same rung. We have 3 rungs. She is the smallest so maybe they squeeze her out.

Question: Are we going to have to do this all winter? Will she ever relearn to go into the coop at night?
(Yes, the coop roof top is safe from predators)

Last edited:
How much roost space do you have total and how is it set up, since you mentioned rungs? Like how far is each rung below and set back from the one above, etc. Photos would help, if describing it is difficult.

Chickens do want to stuff onto the same roost bar if possible, but most of them should be willing to use lower ones if they have to.

How much roost space do you have total and how is it set up, since you mentioned rungs? Like how far is each rung below and set back from the one above, etc. Photos would help, if describing it is difficult.

Chickens do want to stuff onto the same roost bar if possible, but most of them should be willing to use lower ones if they have to.

We have 3 rungs. layered so nobody gets pooped on. They are all stuffed on the top rung, all seven used to scrunch up there. I have not watched to see why "Lucy" ends up outside on the roof. I usually go out to check after dark.

Need specifics. With 7 chickens is there 7' of roost space available on that top bar? Or is it 7' total? Also how does the stagger look for the lower bars? Again, need numbers - example: my bars are set on a 45 degree slope with the lower one is 18" out from the upper.

Need specifics. With 7 chickens is there 7' of roost space available on that top bar? Or is it 7' total? Also how does the stagger look for the lower bars? Again, need numbers - example: my bars are set on a 45 degree slope with the lower one is 18" out from the upper.
Yes, this^^^^...pics really help too!

Back
Top Bottom