Hen rubbing eye/nictitating membrane HELP

Lola1609

Chirping
May 1, 2020
UK 🇬🇧
Hi,

feeling pretty desperate. My hen had slow crop/sour crop and has been lethargic but after treating her with nystatin she is improving. However, she’s not back to 100% and I’m noticing her rubbing at her eyes and her nictitating membrane is really visible quite often.

It’s as though the membrane is slow and she rubs at it? Or is it that there’s something in there bothering her? And is it related to her sour crop?

I can see no redness around her eyes and I have not seen any worms or swelling or discharge. The only thing that comes up when I search for this is Manson’s eye worm but I can’t see anything plus I’m in the North of the UK so not sure how common it is to get cockroaches here...

Please help, this is following on the back of the sour crop and my ducks suffering with bumblefoot and it’s the first time for me treating any of these things since I rescued my girls. I feel so helpless and worried constantly about them! Hard to get to a vet during lockdown and I’d like to treat myself if possible.

Thanks in advance for help!!

Sorry no one replied. How is your hen doing?
Thanks for the reply- thankful after a week of daily trips to the vet for antibiotic injections, my hen is really looking up. She hasn’t laid any eggs since being poorly although today her tail was pumping and when I looked (and helped) a squashed, rubbery type of shell came out. She immediately went pecking around and is acting normal. I’m continually keeping an eye on her but things seem more positive.
Thank you 😊

Back
Top Bottom