hen setting for long time

Don't have a lite strong enough..
Do you have a table lamp? You can make a very strong candler. I took the bail off the lamp (the wire gizmo that holds the shade in place.) I cut the bottom off a round shampoo bottle, and slid that down over the bulb and the socket till it met up with the wood lamp base. I had to wrap cardboard around the bottom of the bottle and tape it to make it long enough to fit correctly. I then wrapped the whole gizmo in tinfoil. Voila, powerful egg candler. Don't leave the lamp on too long, or candle an egg for too long, cause it will get hot. But, I can get a view in almost every egg I've tried. Be sure to candle in a dark room.

Last edited:
Update.. I finally checked the eggs(week or so ago) and all seemed bad. Gave her a little break, she started laying again so now I have a record of the date and every day she lays.. Maybe this time something will hatch.

No.
I put 2 out of my other pen in with hers,pretty sure these 2 are. The rooster didn't like the one Americana(lt blue) so I took out and put a Easter egger.
Gonna try and make a candeler.

No.
I put 2 out of my other pen in with hers,pretty sure these 2 are. The rooster didn't like the one Americana(lt blue) so I took out and put a Easter egger.
Gonna try and make a candeler.

flashlight or a light bulb from a lamp.

Update.. I finally checked the eggs(week or so ago) and all seemed bad. Gave her a little break, she started laying again so now I have a record of the date and every day she lays.. Maybe this time something will hatch.
Jtbuck, if you will--- explain what you are doing here---a record of every egg layed and how something might hatch?? Who is setting? Who is laying? I am lost.

Jtbuck, if you will--- explain what you are doing here---a record of every egg layed and how something might hatch?? Who is setting? Who is laying? I am lost.
I have a pair of Black Copper Marans and the hen has set once before and I found her and didn't know when she started or went to set . After a few weeks after I found the nest I checked and they were pretty bad, so threw away.
After a break for her she started laying again so i thought I would keep track...
There you go

I have a pair of Black Copper Marans and the hen has set once before and I found her and didn't know when she started or went to set . After a few weeks after I found the nest I checked and they were pretty bad, so threw away.
After a break for her she started laying again so i thought I would keep track...
There you go

you know just cause she started laying eggs again does not mean she is going to go straight back to being broody....right?

Back
Top Bottom