Hen sick/ getting bullied

Leahmae26

Hatching
Nov 27, 2020
Hi folks, I have a white leghorn whom I noticed was sick about a week and a half ago. Her comb was dull and she was hunched over and extremely lethargic. I isolated her in her own small coop with food and water and heat. Somewhat to my surprise, she has made quite a comeback and seems relatively healthy now. She has a run and she is energetic, eating food and drinking and her comb is back to red.
however, a couple of times now I have let her back in with the rest of the flock, and almost immediately she is being attacked by another one of the white leghorns, same age (I got them together). The other hens don’t seem to bother her much, but each time I turn her loose with the flock, her “sibling“ attacks her immediately. She is quite a bit smaller than the other white leghorns. I don’t know what to do at this point. Any advice?

It sounds like you need to reintroduce her. Try having her in her own area (a dog crate will work) within the coop or run until the flock (really this one leghorn) gets used to the idea of having her back.

When you isolated her, was she still in view of the other birds? How long was she isolated for? If she was away for more than a couple of days, she may need to be reintegrated like a new bird.

It can be natural instinct for them to want to push away members of the flock that are in poorer health. What's the other bird doing as far as attacking her? If it's not severe (i.e. some peck and chase), might be best to let the two of them work it out. If the aggression is at the point that it's causing physical harm (drawing blood, the weaker bird isn't allowed to eat) then yes intervention may be necessary.

Do you have any clutter in your run/yard area, to help provide her with hiding spots? https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Hi folks, I have a white leghorn whom I noticed was sick about a week and a half ago. Her comb was dull and she was hunched over and extremely lethargic. I isolated her in her own small coop with food and water and heat. Somewhat to my surprise, she has made quite a comeback and seems relatively healthy now. She has a run and she is energetic, eating food and drinking and her comb is back to red.
however, a couple of times now I have let her back in with the rest of the flock, and almost immediately she is being attacked by another one of the white leghorns, same age (I got them together). The other hens don’t seem to bother her much, but each time I turn her loose with the flock, her “sibling“ attacks her immediately. She is quite a bit smaller than the other white leghorns. I don’t know what to do at this point. Any advice?
Throw the bully in the dog crate for a couple days , maybe to drop her a rung or two in the pecking order, if you have trouble reintroducing her sibling after you try the see don't touch method.

welcome2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom