hen sick, wont' move, runny poo and very stinky

foulkfamilyfarm

Hatching
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
I have a year old araucana that has been sick for two days now. She is getting worse. She will not get up and walk at all. When I pick her up runny white poo comes out. She is all smelly and stinky on the underside. I tried soaking her in warm water and drying her. She does not seem to be egg bound. What could be wrong with her? I don't think I have much time. Can someone help?

First, make sure she's isolated and don't touch any other birds without washing up really well. It would help if you answer the questions in the sticky post at the top of the Emergencies page.
Also, clean any litter she was on, if other birds will be in contact with it.

Last edited:
Quote:
I do have her isolated and have been washing well after any contact with her. She is kept away from all other chickens. I will try to find what questions you are talking about and answer them.

Thanks

My hen is not getting up or walking. She is sleepy and resting a lot. She was on a diet of Organic poultry crumbles and leftover scraps from my garden. I sometimes throw grain out for them. Barley, flax seed, etc. All organic. I also have available to them oyster shell and grit. I never saw anything happen to her. No other chickens are sick. I have 20 other hens and 1 rooster. The last two days she has been drinking water with raw apple cider vinegar and a tiny bit of molasses in it. She won't eat the poultry crumbles. I did get her to eat some off a hunk of watermellon from the garden and gave her some organic cooked brown rice last night, which she ate some. I do not see any signs of trauma. She is in a 10 x 10 coop, alone with some straw in the corner. I would like to treat her myself if possible. I have never wormed her. She has been raised totally organic. I have never gave her any medication and would like to keep the treatment as natural as possible. As I said above she has very runny white poo and smells bad. I have soaked her in warm water, cleaned her and dryed her. I put her on a heating pad at night. She seems to be getting a little worse as time goes by. She seems to be breathing kind of hard a times, but it is hot where we live. (She is in the shade). I really don't know what to do for her.

I am very sorry and sad that your hen is so sick. I don't know what is going on but will tell you that on Labor Day my hen Ellie was very very ill. Emergency admission to hospital. Blood work showed her to have serious infection/inflammation - cause totally unknown. She and her roo buddy get the best of everything from food to shelter to cleanliness to love - they literally eat better than I do - organic fruits and veggies and so on. Yet I don't think she would be alive today if she didn't quickly receive antibiotics and subsequently anti-inflammatory meds (vet also hydrated and tube fed her). It is possible your hen will need meds to get through whatever is going on. They can crash and burn so quickly. I still don't know what's wrong with Ellie, only that she turned around rather markedly after baytril was started.
I don't wish to alarm you but felt an obligation to share that more than an all natural solution may be needed right now.
Has your hen been wormed?
JJ

Back
Top Bottom