Hen sleeping on the floor

Casa de Pollo

Chirping
Apr 13, 2020
Why, oh why is my hen sleeping under the other hens??? One of my amber whites cuddles up in the same spot and gets pooped on every night...

I've been going out most nights and putting her on the roost, and as far as I can tell, she stays on the roost all night. But next night I find her in the same spot.

I thought it might be too little room on the roost, so I added another one. It has not helped. My 7 hens are all the same age, and they get along well. No major fights or anything. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

I'm sorry your girl is getting pooped on all night. Here are thoughts to consider:
1. She is on the lowest pecking order.
2. The others aren't allowing her on the roost.
3. She's having difficulty getting up on the roost for some reason.
4. She's being bullied during the day.
5. She doesn't feel well.
6. She to heavy.
7. She has an injury somewhere.
8. What's her order of going into the coop at night.
9. Whats her order for getting to eat.
10. Does everyone have enough space.
If she has been feeling ok, than their is a very good chance she's not allowed up and someone is Bullying her. Give her a good body inspection to make sure nothing is broken and check for sores and injuries. Check her feet very closely. Perhaps she has a sore. Make sure your roost is a 2 x 4 and they roost on the 4" side and the edges are smooth and clean.
If she's been permitted on the roost before and all of a sudden she's not, than any of the above are true.
You will need to be the watchful Detective to see what's happening in the coop in the evening.
Send a picture of the girls on the Roost.

x2. I have a bird that doesn't roost but she's no longer able to get up on it and stay on it, so she stays on the ground now. Never had her pooped on, there's plenty of floor space that's not under anyone's butt so it hasn't been an issue.

Since yours (OP) will stay on a roost, you could just put her up on it each night and she may eventually learn to do it herself, if she's able to.

x2. I have a bird that doesn't roost but she's no longer able to get up on it and stay on it, so she stays on the ground now. Never had her pooped on, there's plenty of floor space that's not under anyone's butt so it hasn't been an issue.

Since yours (OP) will stay on a roost, you could just put her up on it each night and she may eventually learn to do it herself, if she's able to.
I was wondering if she's been permitted to roost before and this is a new issue. A picture of the coop would help a lot. I have a girl or two that isn't permitted on the roost sometimes. So, when I go to lock them up at night, I move the girls over and put her up there anywhere. Yes, they complain but, I verbally scold them and tell them to stop it because shes staying!! Lol

I'm sorry your girl is getting pooped on all night. Here are thoughts to consider:
1. She is on the lowest pecking order.
2. The others aren't allowing her on the roost.
3. She's having difficulty getting up on the roost for some reason.
4. She's being bullied during the day.
5. She doesn't feel well.
6. She to heavy.
7. She has an injury somewhere.
8. What's her order of going into the coop at night.
9. Whats her order for getting to eat.
10. Does everyone have enough space.
If she has been feeling ok, than their is a very good chance she's not allowed up and someone is Bullying her. Give her a good body inspection to make sure nothing is broken and check for sores and injuries. Check her feet very closely. Perhaps she has a sore. Make sure your roost is a 2 x 4 and they roost on the 4" side and the edges are smooth and clean.
If she's been permitted on the roost before and all of a sudden she's not, than any of the above are true.
You will need to be the watchful Detective to see what's happening in the coop in the evening.
Thank you, it does not seem to me that she is picked on or unhealthy. My birds are pretty spoiled, and they free range all day lately. I've not seen any aggressive bullying. I will be watching to see where in line she is to enter the coop at night.

Back
Top Bottom