Hen stealing and breaking broody eggs

Fee1inclucky

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2022
Hi all,

I have a broody Pekin who has been sitting on 6 fertilised eggs for the last 18 days. I have two other chickens who just lay their eggs on top of her (which I have been removing) and no problems. Then yesterday I found three broken eggs on my lawn (well away from the coop) with fully formed chicks in them. She now only has three left 😢

I’m convinced it is my polish who has taken them and cracked them open as I just caught her trying to put her head under the broody. How can I stop this? My chickens have never been interested in eating/breaking eggs before. I tried moving the broody to the garage but she got very distressed and would not settle. I have now shut the broody away in the coops and created another make shift nesting box for my other two chickens but they won’t use it. I feel like keeping them separated is going to cause lots of problems for reintegration. Any tips would be great 😊

Hi all,

I have a broody Pekin who has been sitting on 6 fertilised eggs for the last 18 days. I have two other chickens who just lay their eggs on top of her (which I have been removing) and no problems. Then yesterday I found three broken eggs on my lawn (well away from the coop) with fully formed chicks in them. She now only has three left 😢

I’m convinced it is my polish who has taken them and cracked them open as I just caught her trying to put her head under the broody. How can I stop this? My chickens have never been interested in eating/breaking eggs before. I tried moving the broody to the garage but she got very distressed and would not settle. I have now shut the broody away in the coops and created another make shift nesting box for my other two chickens but they won’t use it. I feel like keeping them separated is going to cause lots of problems for reintegration. Any tips would be great 😊
Imho you should have separated her once you were sure she was broody. I'd say to set up a pen near where she originally was if possible and keep her in there with the nest box plus food and water. She should be alot happier in a pen near where she originally was and still being able to be near the flock. Is the dad a chicken or duck, hope you don't mind me asking? I'm just wondering if a hybrid of the two is possible.

Imho you should have separated her once you were sure she was broody. I'd say to set up a pen near where she originally was if possible and keep her in there with the nest box plus food and water. She should be alot happier in a pen near where she originally was and still being able to be near the flock. Is the dad a chicken or duck, hope you don't mind me asking? I'm just wondering if a hybrid of the two is possible.
Will definitely separate a broody next time. This is my first time hatching under a broody (have only used an incubator before) so I should have done more research. Dad is a chicken so no hybrids here!

Will definitely separate a broody next time. This is my first time hatching under a broody (have only used an incubator before) so I should have done more research. Dad is a chicken so no hybrids here!
Trust me I didn't know anything about broodiness when hen mamma Susan went broody last year. It was a literal disaster however now she's gone broody again this year and I'm doing this right. I did research all last winter and this spring watching and waiting for a broody and it's going great. Also keep and egg on her eggs and maybe mark them if they aren't marked yet. I'd also like to suggest you candle them if you haven't already. Hope she hatches them okay!

Back
Top Bottom