Hen still having troubles

Tfryer

In the Brooder
Oct 10, 2019
Hello I have posted before about my hen Mazie , she is not getting around too good. She is eating, drinking pooping and we have had her in her own cage for a couple of days.she really wants to be with her sisters anyway I have been videoing her but can’t seem to post the video on here. I Checked her over pretty good and she doesn’t seem to be egg bound,yet she sits like she is. I can’t get her into vet until Monday. she doesn’t have sores or injuries that I can see. Any suggestions on re checking for blockage of some sort? Or can I flush her vent?

Attachments

• DDFB29AC-713E-4888-83AA-E1012C6E584A.jpeg
    DDFB29AC-713E-4888-83AA-E1012C6E584A.jpeg
    457.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 4025A579-6E69-4844-BFA3-1FCEE12293C0.jpeg
    4025A579-6E69-4844-BFA3-1FCEE12293C0.jpeg
    523.7 KB · Views: 5
Here is your other thread in case people want to read it and get caught up.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/older-chicken-having-trouble-walking-standing-tall.1336006/

Sorry that she isn’t doing any better. I would not flush her vent, since the bowel and the oviduct come together there, and you can flush intestinal bacteria up into the oviduct risking infection. Since she is an older hen, it is possible that she has inflammation or infection causing her problems. Some use an antibiotic such as amoxicillin or others to try and help, but those may or may not help. Most antibiotics are not approved for poultry, but some vets will give them a try. My Tractor Supply has Fish Mox amoxicillin on the shelves which can be used. Hopefully, others will have better suggestions.

I would place her back with her flock members to make her happier. If they are agressive with her, she could be placed in a wire dog crate next to them, with her own food and water.
I have let her out to be with them for awhile and now she’s a back in her crate which is a large dog crate so yes she can see her sisters.

Here is your other thread in case people want to read it and get caught up.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/older-chicken-having-trouble-walking-standing-tall.1336006/

Sorry that she isn’t doing any better. I would not flush her vent, since the bowel and the oviduct come together there, and you can flush intestinal bacteria up into the oviduct risking infection. Since she is an older hen, it is possible that she has inflammation or infection causing her problems. Some use an antibiotic such as amoxicillin or others to try and help, but those may or may not help. Most antibiotics are not approved for poultry, but some vets will give them a try. My Tractor Supply has Fish Mox amoxicillin on the shelves which can be used. Hopefully, others will have better suggestions.
Thank you! I have an appointment at the vet onMonday and we also have a feed store with a knowledgeable employee regarding chickens. I looked at her poop last night and although there wasn’t much of it there was enough to look at. It looked normal to me but yes I’ll go out and see if she has pooped again and post a photo as soon as I can

She’s eating pretty good. She loves raspberries so I gave her a few of those and she also loves a scratch corn so she’s getting some food in her with her normal layer crumbles and oyster shells. If I didn’t know any better watching her outside today she just seemed pretty normal and then she would try to walk. A bit wobbly but not falling over. It’s just sad. We are not ready to euthanize her but we don’t want her to suffer either. I just don’t know where she’s at as far as pain or discomfort

My older failing hens would usually enjoy part of a scrambled egg daily. Wet chicken feed, canned tuna, and canned cat food were some other favorites.
I have read several articles a blog posts regarding cat and dog food for extra protein. Ones thing for sure these girls and Larry our rooster will eat almost anything! I’ll try the canned cat food, giver her a Little treat

Back
Top Bottom