Hen stopped laying eggs, its been over a week and a half...

Hannah1989

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2021
Washington
I have two layers right now, the rest are too young, one lays dark brown and one a lighter brown. I haven't gotten light brown eggs in over a week and a half. Hens seem healthy, eating and scratching. Nothing looks odd. Haven't found any secret nests. We did have two bad wind storms a week or so ago and they did get locked out of their coop and got a bit wet one night for an hour or so. They all seemed healthy after that. Ive been giving oyster shells, grit, organic feed, plenty of free ranging in the yard and garden, vegetables including ACV in water and pumpkin seeds and DE for deworming. I did have one weird poop yesterday, smelled bad, yellow and kinda foamy but haven't seen anymore of that. I cannot think of anything else. If it was an illness she would look sick which I'm not seeing. Would love ideas at this point! Thanks!

vegetables including ACV in water and pumpkin seeds and DE for deworming.
Cut this stuff way back.
Nothing but plain fresh water.
Those things are not going to prevent or eradicate worms.

Probably a little over 6 months old. A type of Easter Egger, and I don't believe so she's not missing feathers as of yet.
Too young for a molt.
How long have they been laying?
Some pullets do not lay all winter.
EE's are a mix of all kinds of different breeds and not always prolific layers.

plenty of free ranging in the yard
Might be time for an exam:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then you might want to confine them for a week or so.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom