Hen stopped laying, losing weight and swollen webbing.

Emily D

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 26, 2014
My barred holland hen was laying steadily one egg everyday and was gaining weight great and was all healthy. Then about three weeks ago started losing weight drastically,n stopped laying cold turkey and developed a funky looking growth between two of her toes. The growth is a red color and has not gotten any smaller as i had hoped it would and gets la.ger every day. Her behavior, otherwise is completely normal(though extemely frightened at any movement other than her fellow chickens). Please help!

Take a look at the bottom of her feet and see if she has a black scab. That could be bumblefoot as sometimes it develops between the toes like that. She may even develop the black scab on the top of her foot where the growth is - I had that happen in a hen once.

Have you looked at the bottom of her foot? If you see the swelling and a bullseye of some sort, you could be looking at bumble foot. I have never had this happen to me (yet and I hope that I do not), but I know that there are some good videos and links on how to take care of if. I'm bad with doing minor surgery's so I would have to have an assistant help me... Good luck and let us know how you make out.

~a

The bottom of her foot looked the same as the top. No bullseye or sign of bumblefoot. Unfortunately I was not able to find a veterinarian to look at her within a 200 mile radius and last night she passed away. Thanks you all for your attempts to help.

Emily, I'm so sorry for your loss. It leaves you feeling helpless and frustrated that you weren't able to help. I'm certain that you did what you were able. Again, sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom