hen stopped laying

cntry1961

Hatching
Jul 14, 2016
my hens were attached by coons and one disappeared. The other got scared and went to the coop and hasn't come come out since. She laid for the first wk and hasn't laid since. She has lost feathers and I even got her 2 new playmates and she still hasn't laid. The new chickens have laid, but she hasn't laid. I don't know what to do. Please any advise would be welcome. She is a family pet.

How long ago did all this happened. She is probably stressed and scared and misses the hen you lost, than you brought in new hens which is also very stressful. Give her time to adjust to everything and to start feeling safe again, when she does she will resume laying, could be a week or two, or could be a few months, she's been through a lot for a chicken.

Good morning, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I agree strongly with @oldhenlikesdogs !

Another thing I wonder is how and where did your other chicken get attacked? Presumably not in the coop or that probably wouldn't be where the survivor would hang out. Have you done anything to ensure you won't have a repeat offense?

Give her a chance to recover. I know I would be traumatized after seeing my best friend brutally murdered in front of me!

Best wishes!

I'm having the same problem with a wyandotte hen her back was literally partially eaten by a coon six weeks ago. I used a antiseptic wound spray (blue coat??)and we prayed.she's been able to fly up to her 3' roost as of this week.but honestly I don't think well see eggs this year if ever. P.s my dh sat out side our coop with his gun the next night. And killed a coon also two more over the week of the incident . traumatized hens need to heal physically and mentally before they can lay eggs.

After I had something get in my coop and injured some hens they quit laying for a month. Just leave them alone for a while and hopefully they'll come around.

I'm having the same problem with a wyandotte hen her back was literally partially eaten by a coon six weeks ago. I used a antiseptic wound spray (blue coat??)and we prayed.she's been able to fly up to her 3' roost as of this week.but honestly I don't think well see eggs this year if ever. P.s my dh sat out side our coop with his gun the next night. And killed a coon also two more over the week of the incident . traumatized hens need to heal physically and mentally before they can lay eggs.
Good husband!
yesss.gif

Glad your girl is recovering.

Back
Top Bottom