Hen stopped laying

crsect

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 13, 2013
Well one of my hens has stopped laying, has not laid an egg for over a week now. I am at a little bit of a loss to explain why. Lighting conditions are good plenty of feed and water I keep the pen clean. They eat healthily and appear to be in good spirits. I have a box in the pen with the full of wood shavings which they like to play in. I do intend to give them a proper dust bath soon. So any ideas or things I should check. They are eating 30% protein as well

Calcium? You can use the oyster shell for chickens or crushed up eggshells in the bath. They will peck at it and get the amount they need.

There are a few yes but I thought this might be normal, its not excessive just a few here and there but they do seem to be preening allot.

all of mine coturnixs just went through moult they all quit laying for almost 4 weeks didn't think they would ever start laying again but all this week ive got an egg from each i guess patience really is a virtue

They appear fine healthy and in good spirits so I will give it time, our weather had been inconsistent got then cold maybe this had had an affect.

Age unknown bought 3 as breeding pair, at the time the man believed them to be around 4 to 5 months. The molting theory sees most logical at this point, however I am still open to suggestion.

For the sake of anyone trying to an answer this question themselves, it was molting plane and simple hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom