Hen strange eyes

emmalouhof

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2015
My husband just called to tell me that one of our hens eyes looked strange. This is the first time he has noticed it, one eye the pupil is very enlarged, the other eye the iris is hazy. She acts normal she still can see, eat, all of our other chickens in with her act normal. I am unable to get a picture right now. Any idea what it could be? What should I do? She is around a year old.

She may be in the process of going blind. Chickens occasionally lose their eye sight all of a sudden and we don't understand why. It could be from a peck in the eye from another chicken. It could be an eye infection or dirt in the eye.

If she's otherwise behaving normally, you could flush the eye with saline artificial tears and follow that up with an antibiotic eye ointment. Though it may not help, it's better than doing nothing.

She may be in the process of going blind. Chickens occasionally lose their eye sight all of a sudden and we don't understand why. It could be from a peck in the eye from another chicken. It could be an eye infection or dirt in the eye.

If she's otherwise behaving normally, you could flush the eye with saline artificial tears and follow that up with an antibiotic eye ointment. Though it may not help, it's better than doing nothing.

Thank you for the reply, that's what my husband wondered also

Back
Top Bottom