Hen struggling to breathe HELP PLEASE!!

Crazyabouthens

Songster
Jun 9, 2021
United Kingdom
Not having much luck with my hens at the moment… one has bumble foot and now I have one that’s wheezing, sneezing and gasping for air. I have had her for a few months. She’s a rescue hen, I rescued her and two others from very unhealthy living conditions. I think that might be half the reason she’s got respiratory problems. She hasn’t been to bad until know, I knew she obviously was slightly struggling to breathe but there was nothing I could do except leave her be. But last night I was going into the coop to lock them all up for the night and she was standing up really tall on the perch, head right up, gasping for air. I panicked, and took her out to what we call our chicken hospital ( it’s just a small coop for chickens that aren’t well so they can be on their own) It was late at night and I needed to go home. So I just sat with her for ten mins trying to massage her throat and calm her down a bit. I don’t think it worked that much but I could feel her calming down a bit. I went back to check her this morning. She was up off the perch waiting for me to let her out. She was still gasping more than usual and she sneezed a few times. I heard you can put olive oil in the water to try and help so I did that. Im away today so I won’t be able to keep an eye on her, but I left her on her own in the chicken hospital. I don’t know what else I can do can someone please give me advice ?:(

Last edited:
I would not advise putting olive oil down her throat if it goes into her lungs it can cause pneumonia. Unless you know how to give liquid meds? She def needs an antibiotic and vet care. Are you in the USA? if so there are antibiotics you can buy online.
Def sounds like a respiratory illness. So sweet of you to rescue them, I hope you can get her help.
https://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-medication/baytril-used-to-treat-respiratory-problems/

Does she have any swollen eyelid, bubbles or foam in an eye, or rattles/wheezes when breathing? Antibiotics will not help if she has a virus, but if she has MG or coryza, certain antibiotics may help. Tylosin for pigeons is one that may be found online, and it goes in the water. It treats symptoms of MG or mycoplasma. Most respiratory diseases are chronic for life, and make them carriers. Carriers from other flocks bring them into new flocks.

I would not advise putting olive oil down her throat if it goes into her lungs it can cause pneumonia. Unless you know how to give liquid meds? She def needs an antibiotic and vet care. Are you in the USA? if so there are antibiotics you can buy online.
Def sounds like a respiratory illness. So sweet of you to rescue them, I hope you can get her help.
https://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-medication/baytril-used-to-treat-respiratory-problems/
Hi thanks! I never actually put it down her throat, I just put a few drops in her water when she drinks it. I might call the vets and no I’m not from the USA I’m from the Uk

Does she have any swollen eyelid, bubbles or foam in an eye, or rattles/wheezes when breathing? Antibiotics will not help if she has a virus, but if she has MG or coryza, certain antibiotics may help. Tylosin for pigeons is one that may be found online, and it goes in the water. It treats symptoms of MG or mycoplasma. Most respiratory diseases are chronic for life, and make them carriers. Carriers from other flocks bring them into new flocks.
No she doesn’t have any of that apart from wheezing when she’s breathing. I’m not sure what the ‘proper name’ for what she’s got wrong with her is?

It sounds like she has some kind of severe respiratory illness that needs to be treated ASAP. She likely needs antibiotics. I'll tag some users to see if they can recommend dosages/medications.

If at all possible you should take her to an avian or farm vet.

@Eggcessive
@sourland
@Miss Lydia

https://www.dummies.com/home-garden/hobby-farming/raising-chickens/respiratory-illness-in-chickens/

Here is a link as well to a list of Respiratory illnesses that chickens can get.
Hi thanks I have looked at that link but she doesn’t have any of them symptoms apart from struggling to breathe and wheezing?

Hi thanks! I never actually put it down her throat, I just put a few drops in her water when she drinks it. I might call the vets and no I’m not from the USA I’m from the Uk
I hope you can get a vet to look at her they can prescribe the right antibiotic to help her get over this.

Back
Top Bottom