Hen struggling to poop?

TOPChickens14

Songster
Dec 19, 2020
Northern New York
2 days ago, I found one of my SLW hens standing with her tail down in a corner of the coop. It was really cold outside so I brought her into the house. I gave her food and water. She is eating a little bit of food but not drinking the water. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with her. She wasn't straining to lay like she was egg-bound. I felt her belly and it felt squishy but I'm not sure if I was touching the correct spot where her abdomen would be squishy if she had water belly. Her crop isn't impacted, she was breathing fine with her beak closed when I brought her in, this morning she is trying a little harder to breathe but her beak is still closed. I don't know when the last time was that she laid an egg. I'm not sure how old she is because I have a lot of SLW and they are very difficult to tell apart. I think she is 3-4 years old. My flock has access to grit and oyster shells at all times as well as fresh water and layer pellets. She hasn't gotten any worse in condition since the day that I brought her inside, I'm taking that as a good sign. This morning when I checked on her, she had pooped a little bit over the night. The poop was pretty small and it is really dark looking, there are some white urates on the poo which I think is also a good sign. While I was down there, I was petting her and she started perking up and squawking, and she moved away from me and strained to poo and a little bit of that dark poo came out. She tried to go again right after that first one. I included a picture of her and of her poo. What do you think is wrong with her? Is her digestive track blocked somewhere? Does she have worms? I was just able to get her to start drinking. And she is gulping it down now. Sorry about the poor quality, the lighting in there is terrible.
IMG-3114.jpg
IMG-3109.jpg
IMG-3103.jpg

Thank you so much for helping!

The poop is confounding for the reason it's weirdly normal. Egg binding and constipation both usually produce runny poop.

But that shouldn't rule out treating for both. Treatments are safe and won't hurt in any case. Give calcium citrate, one whole table directly into the beak for possible egg binding. Give coconut oil, chilled until solid for possible constipation.

This may be a crop issue. Have you checked her crop? It needs checking first thing in the morning before she eats so you can determine if it's emptying over night as a crop should.

You mentioned her breathing is labored. In what way? Describe it. Is there any noise when she breaths? Any discharge from nares and ears and eyes? Look into her throat for anything other than smooth pink tissue.

So that poop is normal? Just smaller than usual?
I don't have calcium citrate. What could I use instead? Oyster shells?
Her crop is not large at all. I will check it tomorrow morning to see if it's normal looking.
What I meant by labored, I can see her inhale (just a slight movement) and I can hear it too.
No discharge from the eyes or nares.
I am going to go give her a teaspoon of coconut oil now. and look down her throat.

Back
Top Bottom