Hen suddenly became disoriented and acting strange

TowfueToffee

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2023
Today i let my chickens outside to free range. For some of the younger ones(about 2-3 months) this was their first time. One of my younger hens came out and acted fine until she suddenly started chirping alarmingly and laid down low to the ground. After this she continued to chirp but wandered around aimlessly, not eating or drinking, and kept wandering far from the others and had to be retrieved. Now shes just laying on the ground peeping, not getting up, drooling, eyes pinning, and at one point, freaked out when she saw another chicken and ran away.

Im not sure what to do or think. Shes never had any issues before and she was fine when she first came out.

Today i let my chickens outside to free range. For some of the younger ones(about 2-3 months) this was their first time. One of my younger hens came out and acted fine until she suddenly started chirping alarmingly and laid down low to the ground. After this she continued to chirp but wandered around aimlessly, not eating or drinking, and kept wandering far from the others and had to be retrieved. Now shes just laying on the ground peeping, not getting up, drooling, eyes pinning, and at one point, freaked out when she saw another chicken and ran away.

Im not sure what to do or think. Shes never had any issues before and she was fine when she first came out.
Can you post photos of her and her poop?

Feel of her crop, tell us what it's like. Look inside her beak, is there any obstruction?

Drooling makes me think she's ingested something or has something stuck in her beak.

Do look her over to make sure nothing like ants are on her biting her. If this was her first time outside(?) then she may have gotten into something.

Can you post photos of her and her poop?

Feel of her crop, tell us what it's like. Look inside her beak, is there any obstruction?

Drooling makes me think she's ingested something or has something stuck in her beak.

Do look her over to make sure nothing like ants are on her biting her. If this was her first time outside(?) then she may have gotten into something.
Her crop feels normal as far as i can tell. Soft and slightly full. Shes only pooped once and all i can say is its a little bit grainy and a little more watery than usual. Ive looked in her beak and her throat and cant see anything that could be stuck

Shes calmed down since earlier. Her eyes are no longer pinning and the drooling stopped. Now shes just laying down and peeping. Seems more alert so im hopeful.

Ive moved her into the house with me and im going to keep an eye on her for a bit.

Her crop feels normal as far as i can tell. Soft and slightly full. Shes only pooped once and all i can say is its a little bit grainy and a little more watery than usual. Ive looked in her beak and her throat and cant see anything that could be stuck

Shes calmed down since earlier. Her eyes are no longer pinning and the drooling stopped. Now shes just laying down and peeping. Seems more alert so im hopeful.

Ive moved her into the house with me and im going to keep an eye on her for a bit.

Attachments

• 20230916_221540.jpg
    20230916_221540.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 7
When you get time, photos of her and her poop may be helpful.

A video of her actions sometimes helps too. Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Looks like it may be a little cockerel, but hard to tell:)

Work on hydration first, get him/her drinking well, hold some water to the beak. A little sugar water (1tsp sugar to 1cup water) or eletrolytes would be good to give for a quick pick me up.
Once drinking, then see about food - normal dry or wet chick starter.

When you get time, photos of her and her poop may be helpful.

A video of her actions sometimes helps too. Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Looks like it may be a little cockerel, but hard to tell:)

Work on hydration first, get him/her drinking well, hold some water to the beak. A little sugar water (1tsp sugar to 1cup water) or eletrolytes would be good to give for a quick pick me up.
Once drinking, then see about food - normal dry or wet chick starter.

The mucous is concerning, but if that's stopped, then I'd just monitor to see if it happens again.

Do make sure the crop is emptying overnight. Best way since you have her/him inside is to remove food/water from the cage during the night, then check first thing before you feed. The crop should be empty/flat and you should see droppings from overnight too.

Put back food/water free choice once you check the crop. If the crop did not empty, then try to tell us what it feels like. Re-check again the next morning. If it's not emptied then, you will want to begin treatment. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

The mucous is concerning, but if that's stopped, then I'd just monitor to see if it happens again.

Do make sure the crop is emptying overnight. Best way since you have her/him inside is to remove food/water from the cage during the night, then check first thing before you feed. The crop should be empty/flat and you should see droppings from overnight too.

Put back food/water free choice once you check the crop. If the crop did not empty, then try to tell us what it feels like. Re-check again the next morning. If it's not emptied then, you will want to begin treatment. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
It is the next morning and unfortunately the crop is still full and no droppings. The crop feels soft and full of liquid

It is the next morning and unfortunately the crop is still full and no droppings. The crop feels soft and full of liquid
5he only other thing i notice is there seems to be something like a small rock in her crop
She may have ingested something that is blocking the crop or intestines.
I would start with giving some coconut oil. If the crop is full of liquid.

Not pooping is very concerning. Is vet care an option?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom