Hen Suddenly Died

User4477

Chirping
Jun 24, 2021
Southern California
My 2-year old RIR just died. She was having gurgles in her breathing and labored breathing (no open beak) for 4 days, no eggs for months ( I thought she was molting because she was missing a few feathers), and bright green poop, but no other symptoms. I was treating her with Baytril for the last day and a half thinking it was a respiratory infection and she was doing a lot better- perky, eating, drinking, walking around, alert, etc. until she suddenly started sneezing uncontrollably, holding her beak wide open gasping for air, and her wattles and comb turned purple. She then started flapping her wings, twisting her neck, convulsed a little, and died. This all happened in less than 2 minutes, starting with the sneezing which she hadn't done before.

I'm worried my other chickens are going to die as well, but no one's showing any symptoms for now except they all have vent gleet, and my rooster has a fungal infection on his comb.

I don't know if it was a fungal infection? Gapeworm?

What should I do to help the others? I've never dewormed them or anything but I'm thinking I probably should? I just don't know what I would use or how to administer it? I live in California if that's of any help.

Also maybe clean out their runs? Their runs have had the same dirt for a while now, and sometimes food and water gets on the floor, so maybe I should change out all the dirt?

Any help, advice, or thoughts on what it could be and my next steps are welcomed..

I wonder if she was experiencing heart failure before having a heart attack. The comb turning purple suggests a lack of oxygen, especially with the gasping, and it's not uncommon for them to convulse before dying if it is. I would have her necropsied if you're able.

Sorry for your loss. In CA you can get a necropsy done for less than $30 I believe. That will identify what she died of. Keep the body cold in a refrigerator wrapped in 2 plastic garbage bags and call the state vet lab in the morning. Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Thank you, I will keep this for future reference; I wanted to get a necropsy but I have no where to store her and my husband would probably get a heart attack if I suggested our fridge :(

I wonder if she was experiencing heart failure before having a heart attack. The comb turning purple suggests a lack of oxygen, especially with the gasping, and it's not uncommon for them to convulse before dying if it is. I would have her necropsied if you're able.
Thank you for the insight- I wanted to get her necropsied but I don't have anywhere to store her :(

Back
Top Bottom