Hen suddenly ill

old mama hen

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 14, 2012
We have a hen that is suddenly staying in the hen house. She was fine this morning and I believe she laid. Now she isn't eating or drinking. She is crouched with her head down. I might not be too worried about this, but we had one that was out in the yard last week and appeared to be fine that morning. By that evening she started exhibiting the same symptoms and she was dead the next morning. The hens are 3-1/2 years old.

Have you seen her eat at all today? Maybe check her crop to rule out a crop impaction- if it's seriously full in the morning she may need some assistance from you.

I went out early to check on her and she was still lying there in the corner under the nest boxes, but alive. I carefully picked her up and took her some water in my hand, which she didn't want. I laid her down and came in to check to see if there were any responses. After reading about checking her craw I went back out and found her dead. My husband and I are so puzzled. Fine in the morning sick in the evening and dead by the next morning. I wonder if it could possibly have anything to do with the water. We have had enormous amounts of rain and noticed mold in the watering tub. Could this be a possibility? I normally scrub every 7-10 days, but have not been as diligent due to the weather.

I did check her crop and no it wasn't full or impacted. I really appreciate your input and quick response. Hope I can figure this out so we don't lose any more hens.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about your hen. I'm afraid I don't have a lot of experience with chickens and am learning as I go, but I hope someone more knowledgeable will be able to help you out! I assume you've checked to see if there are any obvious external parasites. Maybe check their poop to see if you can find any clues there? I've heard you can take poop to a vet to get it checked for infections, but even looking at it could help, if it looks obviously abnormal. How is their breathing? Do you hear any wheezing?

As for the water- I seem to recall reading that adding a little apple cider vinegar to their drinking water can help keep bacteria from thriving in it.

Her poop was fine. No bloody drippings. I also read on coccidiosis on the following link http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex4616 It talks about the hen drooping and not eating. It also mentions that these symptoms go on for 4 to 9 days. That would rule that being the cause. The onset of symptoms and death is rapid.

We're watching the others closely and I am going to add the apple cider vinegar to their water.

The hens have never been wormed. We checked their poop and no signs. I cleaned their watering tub out and scrubbed the watering tub out. Been 2 weeks and no more sick hens. I really think it was the water. Going to add the apple cider vinegar. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom