Hen swallowed piece of broccoli stem and it's stuck in throat

Well, it was a mistake...hopefully you can get it resolved.

How big of a piece was it...can you feel it in her crop??
Might be good to hold back on her eating much feed...just water.

Hang in there.
Best of cLuck to you and her.

I'm thinking the chunk was between 1 & 1 1/2 inches sort of square. I chopped the stem into chunks. I know I know. Never again. I usually throw it in the microwave with water and soften it up for a few minutes. Sigh...

I just checked her again. She pooped a little and was pecking at her food pellets. I just have about half a cup in a bowl. I can't really feel the chunk anymore in her crop. It is much softer and even smaller than earlier, so maybe I get lucky this time? I have water with chicken powder with probiotics and electrolytes in it mixed in. No fluid came up. Still gurgling but not as much. Can't thank you all enough. Great therapy!
1f600.png
1f423.png

Thanks everyone for your concern. She is trying to eat. Definitely drinking. Just a little liquid dribbled out her beak when she bent over. Not smelly. I brought her in this morning so I can monitor her intake and output. However, her comb is getting dark and shriveled on the tips, which I know is bad. I did call the vet. No appointments on Wens. Thursday is surgery day. Friday's all booked. First appt is Sat. But, she was nice and concerned and will talk to the vet and call me back. They do emergencies which I'm sure this is now. So I will take her if they say I need to even though it's an hour drive one way. I may ask the vet about the Dulcolax. That makes sense to me. Soften if up so she can digest it and get things moving.

I'm not comfortable doing any risky procedures myself and fortunate enough to be able to pay if I have to, even though my husband who is the breadwinner may be upset with it. Just hard to handle if every hen has to go this way. I'm relatively new to this and this is only my second illness. I hope I don't have to pay $200 for every hen after 2 years of life. I hate to sound cruel but money is a fact of life. I can't watch them suffer so will always take them unless they go fast and quietly. When they're struggling, I will too. At least I won't ever have too many at one time. Just a few for eggs for us. I really enjoy just watching them. Anyone know what I mean? Thanks again everyone for helping.

An dark comb can mean lack of circulation to the head.Hopefully she recovers.Keep us updated.

I'm thinking the chunk was between 1 & 1 1/2 inches sort of square. I chopped the stem into chunks. I know I know. Never again. I usually throw it in the microwave with water and soften it up for a few minutes. Sigh...

I just checked her again. She pooped a little and was pecking at her food pellets. I just have about half a cup in a bowl. I can't really feel the chunk anymore in her crop. It is much softer and even smaller than earlier, so maybe I get lucky this time? I have water with chicken powder with probiotics and electrolytes in it mixed in. No fluid came up. Still gurgling but not as much. Can't thank you all enough. Great therapy!
1f600.png
1f423.png
Sounds good.
I wouldn't give her more than about a tablespoon or so of pellets...don't want to stuff her crop.
Maybe it did digest..... not really sure what happens in a birds crop, must be some digestive juices in there?

I chop hard stuff(broc,carrots, celery, etc) up in tiny pieces when I infrequently give it to them...am paranoid of just this situation.
Have thrown whole stalks of broccoli....not sure what happens to those stalks.

Fingers crossed. Keep us apprised.

Okay, so I just watchd that video, and I gotta let everyone know that it's full of misinformation and dangerous advice. :(

Did you all see how little fluid she acually gave and I think the hen did aspirate a little of it.

Okay, so I just watchd that video, and I gotta let everyone know that it's full of misinformation and dangerous advice.
sad.png

Did you all see how little fluid she acually gave and I think the hen did aspirate a little of it.

Yes i did watch it and the only part that i intended for the op was when she actually started clearing the crop. This was the best video i could find without going deep in the web.I just wanted to give them a gist of what you were supposed to do.Im not saying that this is a great link either.

Last edited:
Yes i did watch it and the only part that i intended for the op was when she actually started clearing the crop. This was the best video i could find without going deep in the web.I just wanted to give them a gist of what you were supposed to do.Im not saying that this is a great link either.
Better then to not post anything than to post misinformation.

Back
Top Bottom