Hen that is perplexing me.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shelshanam, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Shelshanam

Shelshanam Out Of The Brooder

Got these two rescues from a woman who is helping an elderly "chicken collector" to re home his flock.

So the rooster is suppose to be a Cochin (looks like one to me)

But the hen was suppose to be one as well. She is just much smaller then I would expect her to be. She is finally coming out of a horrible molt (she would of won worst molt of the year as she was almost completely bald).

I hope the picture gives a good view of her, she is a bluish color with some rust mixed in and a darker neck. She does have feathers on the legs.

I will post the picture of the roo as well, she is less then half his size.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    they are either pure cochics but would be color mixes it looks like or cochin mixes

3. Shelshanam

Shelshanam Out Of The Brooder

I think boy is what would be called a Splash?

And thinking about it I guess the hen would be more lavender then blue. But she is just so much smaller and dosen't have the puffy tail that the Cochin usually has.

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    They both may have some cochin in them, but neither has much cochin in their make up. Look like farm mixes. The hen is mostly blue and the boy looks like a washed out columbian mix.

Matt

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep. From the description "elderly chicken collector", I'm thinking the chances of any pure bred bird is quite slim, they've probably interbred for a few years at least.

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Mutts. Barnyard mix.

7. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Mixes. But really pretty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by