Hen that's acting dizzy

pgoker

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 26, 2017
Iowa
I've got a year-old hen that I've removed from the coop for the past 4 days. She was acting very lethargic & not eating/drinking much. I originally thought egg-bound as she was very tense when being picked up, but I don't think that is it. Yesterday evening she started to do circles when I took her out of the kennel. She was having a hard time finding her food/water, but once I put her beak in it, it was a little easier, yet she still did circles over it, spilling it all. Today, she's acting more drunk, stumbling & falling over. I'm wondering if it's worms, although I haven't seen any in her poop. Just thinking her symptoms are leaning towards worms?!? My flock is 12 hens, 1 rooster, 1 duck & 1 drake. We've had all of them for a little over a year, got them when they were all 3 days old. She's eating/drinking well, symptoms described above, & others in flock are very aggressive towards her. She's being given vitamin e in water & lots of hard-boiled eggs & highprotein foods. Any advice on what to look for/treat would be appreciated!

Is it possible it's a neurological issue?
What I mean, is the stumbling sounds neurological in nature.
Many with assume Mereks, and that could very well be it. However there are other issues that look like this.
Do you happen by chance use straw?
Aspergillosis is possible, so is a hard hit to the head.
I am sorry I can't tell you exactly, hopefully others will chime in.

I use pine shavings in coop & run. And they free-range almost every day. And I had thought Mareks, but kind of pushed that to the back of the list. Last evening, I was actually considering if she was becoming blind? It was like she had no clue where anything was, even the stuff right in front of her! She was running into the kennel constantly! And stepping in her food & not even knowing it was there. I'm at a loss & feeling bad for her as it's hard to watch.

So you think it may be more of a eyesight issue?
Could it be the form of Occular Mereks?
I am not familiar with this form of Mereks at all, so you will want to research it.
I assume there have been no obvious injuries to her eyes, or anything that looks different to you about her eyes?

I researched and found a post from back in 2010:
I just copy and pasted it, so technically I am plagiarizing:

I found this on google:
Eye Symptoms
# Chickens that suddenly go blind may have a case of avian pox, a viral disease that affects many species of birds. Aspergillosis can also result in blindness, and chickens diagnosed with this deadly fungal disease will also develop lung infections. Chickens that have large, swollen eyes may have mycoplasmosis, another bacterial-related illness (also called sinusitis).

Back
Top Bottom