Hen Throwing Fake Eggs Out

alinagross

Hatching
Feb 6, 2021
I have a long nesting box (4 ft long) with fake eggs at one end where the girls lay eggs just fine. I've decided to make a divider half way in the nesting box because I've added two new younger girls. They are low on the totem pole and are weary of the big girls. My thinking is that a separate nesting area away from where the big girls lay would be encouraging for the new girls. That way they're more hidden and not scared to lay if a big girl is in there.

Well now one of the big girls goes into the new divided end of the nesting box and kicks out the fake eggs into the coop. No one has laid eggs there yet (new girls are a tad too young) She keeps doing it. Does anyone know why? Should I worry? Should I keep putting them back in? Or should I just get rid of the fake eggs?

Thanks!

I have a long nesting box (4 ft long) with fake eggs at one end where the girls lay eggs just fine. I've decided to make a divider half way in the nesting box because I've added two new younger girls. They are low on the totem pole and are weary of the big girls. My thinking is that a separate nesting area away from where the big girls lay would be encouraging for the new girls. That way they're more hidden and not scared to lay if a big girl is in there.

Well now one of the big girls goes into the new divided end of the nesting box and kicks out the fake eggs into the coop. No one has laid eggs there yet (new girls are a tad too young) She keeps doing it. Does anyone know why? Should I worry? Should I keep putting them back in? Or should I just get rid of the fake eggs?

Thanks!
My pullets did this too I just kept putting them back there, but once they start to lay I would take them out, I think your hen is close to laying if she is doing this

How tall is the lip on the nest? When I had that issue I raised the lip a few inches, problem solved.

I don't do anything special when I have pullets getting ready to lay. The pullets generally learn from the older hens where to lay.
There is a lip on the nesting box, about 2.5"-3" I guess...

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!
It's weird that she's only throwing the fake eggs out of the new spot. The old spot where they lay fine has fake eggs too and they've never kicked them out.
Maybe I'll put them back a couple times and if they keep getting tossed out then it's not an accidental thing. She must not want fake eggs! The bedding is really all thrown about as well, like she's really trying to get them out. Not like in the other nesting box.

Back
Top Bottom