hen to vet-am I crazy?

I took my Bluebell to the vet (3 times). I don't smoke or really have a hobby -- my girls are my "habit"
smile.png
It was well worth it - Bluebell made a full recovery and holds a special place in my heart now.

Don't worry about what people think!

Here is a pic of my baby girl recovering inside...

62514_snapshot_20100905_1.jpg

And one of her waking my son up in the morning.
smile.png
(she slept in a cage at night and I would take her outside to do her business and then she would snuggle with Jonathan)

62514_dsc_0388.jpg

I think it's great! When you brought the Hen into your life you accepted responsibility for it's well being. I take care of all my animals and do the very best that I can for them. My hen, Red, that was attacked by a coyote a couple weeks ago has made an almost full recovery! I gave her, antibiotics,pain meds, washed her back side and treated it three times a day.....she was in the hallway of the barn earlier just scratchin' away!
Hope she heals and you can enjoy her for many years to come!
thumbsup.gif

Why should you feel silly taking a beloved family pet to the vet??? Some pets just touch us more than others, and it sounds like Penny has done so with your whole family. I wish her a quick recovery
fl.gif

You can't help who or what you love. I am not that attached to my girls, however, I did spend a fortune on taking my dog to a animal psychiatrist. We have had to modify our life for the last 10 years for our "crazy" dog, but we love him.

Seems like it would be viewed the same as taking any other pet bird to the vet. Of course we know it's not. I've taken ducks and geese to the vet. You're not alone!!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! Update on Penny. She is home from the vet - alive! Dr. O said she never would have passed that egg - it was huge. It was stuck in the oviduct. Dr. O anesthesized her and crushed the egg. She said that Penny needs to force the remnants out herself. She is on chlorampenicol and rimadyl for the next 10 days. The antibiotic is one geared toward infections/bacteria in the reproductive system. She said that baytril is not strong enough to target the oviduct "bugs". Penny is going to spend the next three days in the house until we can see that she can get everything through her system. At least it looks like she did not do an internal lay, it was just stuck. She is eating and drinking like crazy and just talking up a storm to us! we found out she likes Arby's roast beef sandwiches! We stopped for sandwiches on the way home and she really helped me with my sandwich! Keep good thoughts coming her way!

Quote:
That's great, I'm so glad you took her! Love the part about sharing the sandwich with her!

And no, you are not crazy at all. It doesn't matter what the species is, if it is a loved pet then you should do what you can for it. Tell those people at the office it's no different then them taking their cat or dog in.

I get really, really tired of those people who generalize and decide that just because it's an animal they've never owned and are not familiar with, or something they consider "just" a farm animal, or was not expensive, that it has no worth and should just be left to die.

You did the right thing, I'm sure she'll be better in no time now.

Last edited:
Quote:
That's great, I'm so glad you took her! Love the part about sharing the sandwich with her!

And no, you are not crazy at all. It doesn't matter what the species is, if it is a loved pet then you should do what you can for it. Tell those people at the office it's no different then them taking their cat or dog in.

I get really, really tired of those people who generalize and decide that just because it's an animal they've never owned and are not familiar with, or something they consider "just" a farm animal, or was not expensive, that it has no worth and should just be left to die.

You did the right thing, I'm sure she'll be better in no time now.

x2

Back
Top Bottom