hen to vet-am I crazy?

bunnibird55

Songster
10 Years
Oct 13, 2009
NW Ohio
I guess I need some reassurance here. I have 90 chickens - dual purpose New Hampshires, Buckeyes and Buff Bantam Cochins. I have had chickens for 4 years and have never taken one to the vet. I have always handled illnesses myself. This time, one of my February hatch NH hens, Penny, has completely endeared herself to the whole family. When we are outside in lawn chairs or sitting on a bale of straw, she comes up and actually jumps on our laps and sits there talking to us. It is safe to say she is more like a loved pet than a production bird. This past week she started dropping her tail and her comb was becoming droopy. I could see her abdomen looked larger than normal. I started feeling carefully and could feel an egg in her abdomen. This is her first egg and she seems young to start laying. Over the past several days I have tried everything such as warm baths and vasoline in her vent and trying to get the egg out. It seems that there is extra tissue around the egg and I can't even get it broken. She has been a trooper but I can't get the egg out and now there is another one in there. I have called my avian vet who is an hour and a half away and I am taking off work tomorrow to take Penny down to see if she can save her. I am not made of money and my DH is laid off right now, but I am taking all the money I got last week for my birthday to see if there is anything that can help her. The people at work thinks I am certifiable nuts, but even my DH is attached enough to Penny he agrees we need to do more for her. I haven't been able to sleep well because this silly little hen is so dear to me. Please tell me if you think I am as crazy as all the people in my office thinks?!! What have any of you done in a case like this?

Hope Penny does well, some folks would think you crazy . . . A lot of people on this website wouldn't. A pet is a pet, if you have given her every chance by taking her to vet, you won't regret it. We drove two hours to take our dog to an allergist, many would think we are crazy, so maybe I'm not a good judge. I know some would say dogs are different, but not if you love that chicken like a pet, hang in there!

If she is a pet...I would do the same thing...They will most likely give her a Calcium injection...since when they are egg bound, that is most often the case.
It is NOT good to break the egg cause that can cause Massive infection and will too kill her.
Worst case situation would be having to surgically remove the egg.

I would go and see what the vet has to say....I know I have seen my TSC sell calcium injections, (cause the ones at the vet can cost a pretty penny).

But you are not crazy by any means.

Good luck and keep me posted please.

Best Wishes,
Laura

You're not crazy in my opinion! I took my son's favorite hen to a vet after we'd had her for only a few weeks ( we got our girls when they were older) My husband will never let me live it down, but I also know another chicken lover who takes her chickens to the vet when necessary. I hope Penny is able to recover...good luck!

She's a fortunate chicken
smile.png
If you love her that much...it can't be wrong! Hope she does well!

I love all 40 of my pet chickens! I would do it too. Someone wrote if they heard "it's only a chicken" one more time, she's going to say "it's only a dog"! You are not crazy!!!!!

Quote:
"It's only a chicken" is like saying "it's only a sunset". Every life that I am responsible for gets treated the same. I have spent just as much money on a chicken as I have a dog, they are all worth the same in my book. They are my pets. That's just me.

Of course you're not crazy. That's me, LOL. See my thread re: chicken spay.
wink.png

You're a good chook momma and you're doing the right thing! Keep us posted--I'm thinking good thoughts for Penny!! Please do the same for my Olivia!
fl.gif
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I took my rooster to the vet and everyone in my personal life thought I was crazy. I didn't care... he was sick and I didn't know how to help him.

Good luck with your girl!

Quote:
I completely understand! Yes - you're crazy..but I am too! We love the critters - especially the ones who WANT to interact with us. I think what you're doing is wonderful. Hang in there.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom