Hen trying to crow?

Flowerpott

Songster
Aug 12, 2019
Kerrville texas
So at the moment i have one chicken. Long story but it wont be for long she will have a flock soon.
But shes always been by herself (besides some ducks) and shes never had an issue with it. Shes spoiled rotten. Indoor outdoor hen. Little bantam girl. Anyways....
She is in fact a hen. She lays wonderful eggs. But lately she is attempting to...crow?
Shes got an attitude I always joke shes in rooster mode... Attacking the dog/kids/strangers. But shes also pretty friendly and will sit on your shoulder and fix your hair for you. Steal salad off your fork if you aren't careful.

But it started a few says ago. Early morning as the sun is rising she comes out and drops her wings and pokes her neck out and blurts out this noise that is not like anything shes ever done before. It resembles an egg song... But not at all her egg song. She does it a few times walks around does it again and then shes done and carries on with her morning.

Is this...normal? If i can catch it on film i will.

Sometimes a hen will take on a rooster role if no other roosters are present. I have heard of this in an all hen flock. One hen will try to mate and crow. Shr may also lay eggs.
Yes, it’s possible, but for me what happened was that ”she” turned out to be a “late bloomer” meaning she might look like a hen, but she ends ups being looking a rooster way later than usual

Back
Top Bottom