hen turkey won't share roost.

sue scott vn

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 13, 2013
Hi all,
I have 2 pet turkeys just plain old bronze varieties. One was given to me as a runaway rescue back in May. She started a full moult last month and I noticed that she was starting to look really cold in the garden during the day. Having researched I decided to get her a "friend" as they are flock animals and I believe huddle together for warmth.
Their initial greeting wasn't great, I kept the new turkey in a chicken run in the garden for 5 days and then let her out as I have some holiday and thought I would be able to keep an eye on them. They are fine in the garden now and eating together etc, BUT at night (ok now I have to admit to some silly names) Tinsel, my original turkey will not let Bauble , my new turkey onto the roost. There is heaps of room for both of them but she just bullies her off each time. The only way I can stop this is by hanging around for ages until Tinsel is so tired she gives up.. If I don't then Bauble ends up sleeping out in the middle of the run, there are plenty of places with straw bedding etc that she could get to but she doesn't appear to be the brightest spark. (she was a barn turkey being fattened up for Christmas) and had not seen the great outdoors until 7 days ago. She loves being in the garden.Has anyone got any ideas as whilst I've kept hens for years I'm new to turkeys?

Back
Top Bottom