First Egg in november?

Kel60

Songster
Nov 9, 2020
So my girl sweepea who hatched out around February just laid her first egg, in November for some inexplicable reason. I know sometimes out of season things can be a sign of problems should I be concerned? Or is she just being weird?

Shes a bronze breasted turkey as far as I know.

one thing is, she has been turning into a turkey loaf if I so much as walk by her lately I'm thinking she's just gotten herself worked up XD poor girl. I'm gonna have to get her a boy friend come spring I think. she's just got my two chickens for company at the moment.
20231112_100328.jpg
Resized_20231125_172801.jpeg

There is no such thing as a Bronze Breasted turkey. There are Broad Breasted Bronze turkeys and there are Bronze turkeys.

I'm guessing yours is a heritage Bronze but can't tell for sure from the photo.

If she is getting supplemental light, it can throw off their normal laying.

Turkeys are very social and should be raised with other turkeys. Adding a tom to a single hen can be hard on the hen. If you are going to add a tom you should get more hens too.

I originally had 5 total. My aunt took the rest of them back to slaughter, hence I'll be hatching out more in the spring. My mom does insist in keeping a small light in the coup. No matter how many times iv told her not to. She of course knows all, so it goes.

As for the species, that's just what I was told, my aunt gave me the eggs to hatch for her as I'm very good with hatching and chicks. But before these guys all my experience was with chickens and quail.

Mom really wanted to keep sweetpea, so keep her we did. She's lap turkey if given half a chance XD.

Some additional pics of my girl if that helps with id'ing her. Did not know female turkeys would flare their tails before! She's a show off.
20231112_155537.jpg
Resized_20231125_173456.jpeg
20231103_122740.jpg

Back
Top Bottom