hen turkey

turkeyman

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 23, 2007
I got a new hen and she seems fine but she does not roost but sits on the ground. my other turkeys fly across a dry creek but she cannot and has to walk across it. Why can she not fly?

Have her wings been clipped or have they clipped the pin wing. If by chance they clipped it when she was little that would stop her from flying. Thats what I would think.

Im not sure then she just might be too young to fly and when she is ready she will...I hope she does . Mine are flying all over the place and they were born in May. I have palm turkeys...hope she figures it out soon.

I'll bet her previous owner didn't allow her to fly. Was she free range at the place you bought her from? She may not have ever learned that she can fly. At night, when they go to roost, pick her up and put her on the roost with the other birds. She'll get the picture eventually.

Quote:
That's true too! I didn't think about it when I gave you the advice about the roost. If she is a broad breasted white or bronze, don't put her high up on a roost. She'll hurt herself getting down.

Back
Top Bottom