Hen vs Hawk

Weehopper

Songster
Feb 26, 2015
Yesterday, I heard my hens raising a ruckus. Called the dog and ran for the door. Burst through the door just in time to see a smallish hawk make a dive at my mama hen. Sis (the hen) spread her wings and flew up trying to hit the hawk. Not unusual behavior for a game hen. She has six chicks to defend. Of course, when my dog and I came through the door it was enough to make the hawk veer off and head for the trees. I sent the dog out to make her presence known, in case the hawk had thoughts of coming back.
Then I had a thought. Where was the BCM rooster, Mr Big? Why was he not here defending his hen? I start calling the birds to take a head count. And who comes out from under the barn with the other hens? Mr Big, of course. I wondered, why was it that I wanted a rooster? Hmmm...

Game hens are among the most protective mothers. Game roosters are also more protective than most other roosters.

I know, but I gave my gamecock away due to the stitches in my leg
1f60f.png
. Never had any other kind of rooster until now, so it never dawned on me that a different breed wouldn't be as, umm, game. Good thing the hen is game or her chicks would have been hawk bait.

Odd that a gamecock would be human aggressive. It is a trait that has been stringently selected against - for self evident reasons.

I had let her hatch one egg from each of my hens, including herself. The father is my BCM rooster.

Normally he was not aggressive at all. But it was spring and he was perky. I had already sawed his spurs off once, but had just noticed he had sharpened them back up. Anyway, he started hitting me at feeding time. I don't know if he thought I was too slow or what. Also, he was old. After about a week of dodging him, he ambushed me from behind and flogged my legs. He sliced open my ankle, and I thought he had hit a vein. I couldn't make it stop bleeding so I went to an urgent care place nearby, and they stitched it up. I gave him to my sister in law..she has a, sort of, home for old gamecocks. Takes real good care of them. She was happy to have him.

Back
Top Bottom