1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen vs. rooster??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by littlechick2000, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

not all of them do, my little silkie roo will puff up his neck feathers or cluck,

good roos (the ones that are best at protecting hens) will get worked up

i still think it's a roo because of how high he holds himself and the coupled with the fact that he might have crowed

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I understand that, I just don't recommend trying to figure out gender based on that.

4. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Even some of my pullets get a little worked up when I hold another. Especially the Australorps. I'm not sure if they actually get worked uo or just want to take the time to bully the one I'm holding or what but sometimes they have pecked me or tried to bite until I let them go haha I know they're pullets because I only have 8 birds and have gotten 8 eggs before plus they don't have combs or crow

5. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

the getting worked up thing is not something to determine the gender just additional info to add to other signs

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

7. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia

8. summerb123

summerb123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2016
    missing pepper
    does it have spurs if so rooster hen do have little spurs that are barely noticable too the eye a 4 month old rooster on the other hand would have a good sized spurs and pretty neck and tail feathers

9. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

Actually, at 4 months most cockerels would not have noticeable spurs. However, most would have hackle, saddle and sickle feathers, so you're right on that point. Don't base your gender guess on a four month old's spurs, as both pullets and cockerels have spur buttons at a young age. [​IMG]

10. summerb123

summerb123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2016
    missing pepper
    i forgot what the feathers were called so i said that but i say other wise i have a 3 month old rooster and has noticeable spurs they are about 5 cm long and the hens which are the same age have little nubs for spurs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by