Hen w/ Squinty Eye (UPDATED)

cheirogloss

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 23, 2009
Lenoir, NC
I have a 20 wk old BSL with a squinty right eye. There is no puss or discharge, her eye is just squinted closed. She doesn't seem to feel well, and while she does drink, eat and forage, she will simply stop and nap in the middle of the yard. I already have duramycin 800mg in the waterer and they have had it (as a flock) for 4 days due to some respiratory symptoms. The birds with snotty beaks seem to be feeling better, but not this bird with the eye. Her poop is normal too.

What else would present as an eye issue and not respond to antibiotics? Could it just be a transitional thing since we just got them on Monday? What should I look for to judge if she is getting better or worse?

Last edited:
Were these birds that you got all together or were some newly introduced. many Resp. illnesses can lay dormant until times of stress. Tylan 50 injectable is helpful for this. Take them to a vet if possible to find out what you are dealing with, if not try the Tylan.

UPDATE- So I just captured the squinty hen, and her cheek under the squinty is puffy and hot. It looks like she has a big bag under her eye. The eye is still not runny, but her cheek is definately swollen.

I was thinking about placing warm compresses on her cheek, but I am not sure what else will work. Is there a special, sick chick diet I can give?

Is this still something to be treated w/ Tylan? If so, how much do I give? None of the internet info I can find even indicates Tylan for use on poultry.

Back
Top Bottom