Hen w/ swollen eye shut

***UPDATE*** I have been using the vetericyn eye gel and spray and it appears to be working. The swelling in Butterscotch’s eye appears to be improving and the scabs look like she is getting picked on. It I shocking to see what kind of abuse this little girl has endured. From months of limping to her eye issue…hopefully brighter days are ahead for her. Thanks for your continued support and help. Covid brought me to having chickens much sooner than I would have and now I can imagine a life without them in it.

So gratifying. Cheers all and thanks again.

Glad there's improvement!
Was probably a pecking injury rather than a dreaded respiratory disease.
Chickens can be brutal and beaks are efficient weapons.

I’m glad for this post because one of my cockerels has a swollen eye with absolutely no other symptoms and I am as certain as can be that it was caused by being pecked. I’m picking ip some eye wash and medicated drops in the morning.

AC9EFA4F-8447-42D8-BE0D-B1A1BA9CCFDC.jpeg

This was butterscotch after a couple of days of vetericyn spray and ointment. You can see it appears like she was pecked toward the front of her eye. It was swollen for much of the next couple of weeks, but she is in pretty decent shape now even though it is still a wee bit puffy. I will get an updated pic tomorrow to show you a month later.

Next if I can keep her from getting the recurring limp all will be happy in the coop!

I hope you are able to find the cause of your cockerels swollen eye @TCCL. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom