Hen waddling with swollen belly

Mar 22, 2018
just went to check in my chickens today and found of of them appearing to be fatter than usual. She was waddling and appeared to be constantly trying to poop. He did poop a small amount but continues to walk around and poop more. I picked her up and her belly is distended and feels like a full water ballon. I am worried she might be egg bound. I am going to give her sitz bath and see if that help. I then plan to check and see how f she is egg bound. She poop looks normal it is some white to it and is brown nothing crazy looking. No diarrhea. She did have a few solid clumps stuck to her back end though. I wanted to posts this for any thoughts in while I am getting her ready for this bath. Thanks

So I have her the bath, she pooped once. Did a manual check and did not feel any eggs in her. Her abdomen is really swollen. I have her in the bathroom drying off

The poop she had belly still swollen sounds like she’s hurting

Attachments

• 331DA4B0-51CA-44C1-B53C-B85EC6C92BD2.jpeg
    331DA4B0-51CA-44C1-B53C-B85EC6C92BD2.jpeg
    387.4 KB · Views: 98
The poop she had belly still swollen sounds like she’s hurting

Attachments

• 60B58EA2-3137-4DC1-8DCA-8E82C1C0B0CB.jpeg
    60B58EA2-3137-4DC1-8DCA-8E82C1C0B0CB.jpeg
    714.3 KB · Views: 89
I am sorry your hen isn't doing well. (The gist of the post below..please read it all the way through.)
I am quoting a post below because it says what I want to say but only better.
@Liddy

So sorry for your loss but a big WELL DONE for opening her up. I know that takes a lot of courage and gumption. It would appear that she was laying internally and developed peritonitis as others have mentioned. Internal laying can go on for weeks or even months and the hen behave relatively normally other than a slowly swelling belly which is generally well hidden by feathers. Sometimes a poopy butt will indicate that there may be a problem but sometimes not. The hen will sometimes start to walk with a wider stance and not be quite as agile due to the increased weight, but these are often not obvious until you have gone through an experience like this and become more observant because you know what to look for. I'm not sure why some become infected like this whilst others can have a belly full of egg yolks that are relatively inert and it is just the sheer mass of them that kills them, but there was nothing you could have done to prevent it.

@Liddy
As others have said, that is a lash egg which would be impacted in the oviduct and is caused by Salpingitis which is an infection of the oviduct. The infection is usually isolated to the oviduct and therefore ascites is unlikely to occur because the abdominal cavity is not compromised. Sometimes however the lash egg causes egg yolks to back up behind it and spill out into the abdominal cavity but more often it acts in the same way as being egg bound and constricts the gut preventing the bird from passing waste and they die of toxic build up. Usually a bird with Salpigitis will have an obvious swelling below the vent and a soiled and sometimes balding butt whereas ascites and internal laying tends to cause swelling lower down between the legs.

Waddling can be a sign of egg binding, but it also can be seen with reproductive disorders, such as internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, and ascites (fluid in the belly.) Has she laid eggs recently. While you are bathing her and dealing with her, insert a finger one inch into her vent to check for an egg. If you feel an egg, give her some water and a 1/2 of a calcium tablet or Tums.

How does her lower belly feel—soft, squishy, firm, or tight like a drum? Is it enlarged? Ascites can be caused by heart failure in young hens, and it can also occur in internal laying and egg yolk peritonitis when the liver is affected. An enlarge abdomen can also occur with lash eggs from salpingitis and internal laying, with oviduct cancer, and in egg yolk peritonitis.

Some people have their vets drain the hen with ascites or they do it themselves. That can be a temporary fix to help decrease pressure and ese breathing. A 16 gauge needle is usually good to use. Ascites fluid is yellow. Another cause of enlarged abdomen is a cystic right oviduct, and when drained, the fluid is clear and colorless.

Here is a video:

Back
Top Bottom