Hen wheezing/making noise when breathing

TracieH

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2022
Hi,
I have a hen who, for the second time was making a noise when breathing. It’s sort of a squawking sound, like her voice, but she’s gasping or panting. Her breathing is definitely labored. The first time she stopped by the time we got her settled in the garage. The air conditioning was on. She didn’t do it for about a week, but tonight was the same sound and stopped when I brought her in. Could this be from heat or something else?
Here’s a link to a video with the sound. YouTube video

Thanks so much for any help!

Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight. Look inside her beak for any lesions or canker.
When was the last egg? Any bloat or fluid in the abdomen below the vent between the legs?

Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight. Look inside her beak for any lesions or canker.
When was the last egg? Any bloat or fluid in the abdomen below the vent between the legs?
I’ll check her crop again in the morning. It was round and soft tonight. No bloating or wateriness in her belly. She laid an egg today and her behind beneath her vent is soft. She will not hold still for us to open and look in her mouth. Any tips for getting cooperation or how to hold her still? There were two of us and we tried together, but she wiggled out of our hands every time. At times her comb and wattles look pale and comb seems limp, to me, but looks pretty much ok at other times. It may be just me over-worrying?

I’ll check her crop again in the morning. It was round and soft tonight. No bloating or wateriness in her belly. She laid an egg today and her behind beneath her vent is soft. She will not hold still for us to open and look in her mouth. Any tips for getting cooperation or how to hold her still? There were two of us and we tried together, but she wiggled out of our hands every time. At times her comb and wattles look pale and comb seems limp, to me, but looks pretty much ok at other times. It may be just me over-worrying?
Try and wrap her in a towel and then look in her beak.

Was her crop empty this morning?

If a bird doesn't cooperate, then swaddle them in a towel to help capture the wings, then have control.

Her crop was clear this morning. I kept her in a climate controlled shop for about 40 hours and I never heard her make the noise when I checked on her. She went back out to free range today and this evening, around 8pm she was doing it again, but not as bad. We live in Arkansas and it’s been getting up to around 100 degrees. They have a wooded area where they are hanging out during the day and lots of water. We started adding ice in their waterers, but it doesn’t last long. She did look fine about 4pm when I took ice out.

Back
Top Bottom