Hen who is on her last leg

cluckcluckgirl

Queen of the Coop
11 Years
Jun 16, 2012
Tending to my chickens
My 2 1/2 year old Barred Plymouth Rock has been fairly week lately. She is having trouble balancing and standing. She acted like this a couple weeks ago, so I isolated her and got her on the road to recovery. She was doing better up until a couple days ago when she began the same behavior. I know she eats, I've seen her do it. Her comb is still red and she has no apparent trouble breathing. As a side note, I believe that she has stopped laying due to age because I haven't seen an egg from her in months. Today she was outside (still) while it was raining and we were all away from home, so she was left out. I don't think we'll have her much longer with the way she's going, but could someone at least give me an answer as to what this might be? Help is greatly appreciated.

Having a similar problem with one of mine & been reading a ton!

How's her calcium & vitamin intake? Does she have oyster shell available?

Another thing I've read about are tape worms. Apparently, they can eat a bug (fleas) who has the tapeworm eggs & it gives the chicken tapeworms. Just wormed my little lady- we'll see if it helps. Our fleas have been uncontrollable this year!

Does she feel feverish? Still eating / drinking?

Hope you figure it out & get her some help!

I hope yours heals up!

I've offered oyster shell multiple times, but it always stays untouched for weeks, so I assume their calcium intake is good. Vitamins should be good; I gave them some veggies a couple days ago.

That's interesting. Do you know if you can just de-worm them with some garlic or something? I guess it won't hurt!

She doesn't feel too hot. This morning she was eating and drinking with some help, but at least had the urge to eat and drink. She's doing better this morning.

If I find out any more information I will surely tell you so we can both get our hens healed up!

Garlic doesn't deworm chickens. Valbazen or Safeguard liquid goat dewormer is more along the line of what you're looking for. Garlic, DE, pumpkin seeds, etc. *may* help deter a worm infestation but it doesn't stop it completely and it won't kill worms already in your chicken doing damage. If she were mine, I'd try deworming and see if that helps, plus giving her vitamins & electrolytes. Hope she perks up!

I agree with sbhkma that proper worming would be with Valbazen or Safeguard goat wormer. At her age your hen might be suffering from internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. That will sometimes cause pain in the legs or a wobbly gait. Here are a couple of links to read about this:
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/526089/egg-yolk-peritonitis
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/195347/my-ivy-latest-relapse-shes-gone
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/362422/drained-a-hens-abdomen-rest-in-peace-olivia-11-5-10

Thank you for your help. Do you know if Safeguard or Valbazen are available at many Wal-Marts or do I have to go somewhere else? I will definitely give that a try once I can get some de-wormer. I've added some Nutri-Drench to her water.

Cluckcluckgirl I wouldn't advise using antibiotics unless you're 100% certain that your girl has an infection and that you are using the right type of medication. Overuse of antibiotics can cause more problems than it solves, not just within your flock but in the natural world in general.
I am not saying don't use them, but just be certain that they are necessary, and also the right type.

Update- We haven't been able to get any dewormer yet, but my hen, Matt, has been kept inside with some food, water, and rest. She's doing much better. She's standing and able to even walk a little, her other eye is now open, and she is pretty alert. She's eating and drinking a good amount as well. When I was talking to a family member about my hen, she was saying that Matt's symptoms were similar to that of a stroke. Matt had temporary paralysis and seemed like one side of her body was lame. Can chickens have a stroke?

Back
Top Bottom